NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Having a couple issues.....

Tias

I have had Tia for a few months and we recently moved her cage for family coming in for Thanksgiving. She seemed content with move...She was closer to the window and to us rather than across the room.. She was also closer to Joker and I believe chatted with him throughout the day. Now with Christmas coming I had to move her buddy to make room for the tree...I moved him into her old spot...Now here's the problem. Since I moved everything and put the tree up, my husband (who has been the one that she seems to favor) has tried to let her know that things are fine..BUT she doesn't talk much, she barely whistles, she has been flying off my husband when he picks her up and she has been making a noise that we have never heard, like he is hurting her but she is simply perched on his finger....If she goes to his shoulder she quiets down again....Is she going to be okay once the house is back in order or have I done something that she will regress from?

Well, obviously things are not FINE. Why don't you move everything back as it were when she liked it? She is in distress. IMO,if this behavior persists for another day, put everything back and observe her. If things don't get better after the move (not the same second because she will probably expect to be moved again) maybe it is something else and you need to visit the vet. What about her eating habits? Playing with her toys? Something else out of the ordinary?

Tia's had a lot of moving & shaking to deal with lately, but she seems to have been progressing inspite of it all. Sounds like she might be afraid of one or all of the Xmas decorations. Which really isn't very surprising. The older the grey, the less willing they often are to accept new things & change. And rehomed fids do have baggage.

Since he seems to be the one she's most trusting of, you might have your hubby introduce Tia to all the new things. See if she's particularly skittish around anything. Watch to see if she's always watching in a particular direction.

Maybe give her a little longer to acclimate. Just try to be super supportive, like you were when she first came home. Now that she's got a relationship w/Joker, let her see that he doesn't think this is all such a big deal. She may take some comfort from it. But if she continues to look like she's stressing, you may want to consider working out a different arrangement.

Meanwhile, try not to stress too much about this hiccup because Tia will pick up on it & it will add to hers. Set backs happen. They don't have to be insurmountable & they can be very good learning experiences. Ultimately, they can become good bonding experiences because you learn better communication & how to foster trust in some uncomfortable situations.

Last night my husband had her on his chair where she is often perched (close to Joker's cage) and sat with her for the evening. Joker wondered around the house being his usual self..Tonight I went and grabbed her peanuts and gave her a couple which she took from me (as she used to) and as I was cooking dinner I heard the bell from her toy as she was playing with it. Her cage is across the room from the tree, so I think it was the lights and the train that runs around the bottom that spooked her...She seems to be coming around. Now that I think about it when she was perched on his finger she was facing the tree...maybe she was forced to be near one, or something happened while she was with her last owner, because once on his shoulder and quieted down....she had her back to it....Hopefully things will continue to get better, she is talking more and alot more whistling today which is always music to my ears.... Thank you for your advice