NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Things I thought I understood...

Life is Greyt

Ok, I feel very silly asking these in the first place, but, as I said before, I am realizing now that Chickie's home that there is still so much I don't know or understand about grey behavior. She seems to be settling in really well. However, there are a few things I have noticed and am unsure about. I have read on here about eye pinning, and bought I understood it...meaning I thought they only did it if they were upset-then I saw Chickie doing it and she didn't seem upset at all at the time other than the pinning. So, does that mean she was trying to give me a body language sign or can it happen if they're not upset??? I don't want to be misinterpreting her signs if she is trying to tell me something. Ok...the other thing is that She makes a little grumbly growl sometimes. It's not the same as her "I don't want to do what you're asking me to do" grumble...so, is the other growl the happy grumble that I have read about on here a few times? Again, I thought I understood, but now I realize I don't because I'm a little perplexed be her. :). Hope these questions aren't too silly but I just want to make sure that we're speaking the same language and I'm not misinterpreting what she's trying to tell me. Thanks :)

Ok, I feel very silly asking these in the first place, but, as I said before, I am realizing now that Chickie's home that there is still so much I don't know or understand about grey behavior. She seems to be settling in really well. However, there are a few things I have noticed and am unsure about. I have read on here about eye pinning, and bought I understood it...meaning I thought they only did it if they were upset-then I saw Chickie doing it and she didn't seem upset at all at the time other than the pinning. So, does that mean she was trying to give me a body language sign or can it happen if they're not upset??? I don't want to be misinterpreting her signs if she is trying to tell me something. Ok...the other thing is that She makes a little grumbly growl sometimes. It's not the same as her "I don't want to do what you're asking me to do" grumble...so, is the other growl the happy grumble that I have read about on here a few times? Again, I thought I understood, but now I realize I don't because I'm a little perplexed be her. :). Hope these questions aren't too silly but I just want to make sure that we're speaking the same language and I'm not misinterpreting what she's trying to tell me. Thanks :)

Not silly at all. A lot of it comes down to the individual grey. I've had Egan home for over 3 months and I'm just now learning SOME of his signals. I have more learning to do. I know when he wants to come out and when he doesn't. I know when he wants down from his playstand. (He was clipped at the breeders so he is not fully flighted.) I know when he has emptied his food bowl. I only heard him growl in the first day or two that he was home. So all I can say is to observe, react and see what works. They are similar but oh so different!

Thanks Barbara2 :) my initial reaction from the time we've spent together so far is that things are ok. I guess I am still a nervous new parront that just doesn't want to get the signals wrong.  So far, I can tell when she's unhappy with something, but I guess I'm second guessig myself.

All greys have their own way of expressions. Neck ruffling (or whole body ) along with the growling you can be pretty sure the pinning is a way of saying Back Off! However, mine pins when he is eating pasta or sweet potatoes as his way of saying, I'm in heaven!!

There have been times while giving neck scritches w/ his head bowed down, he also pins. It definately is a gesture they do at will & I think it's a really cool thing......

My girl Corky has two kinds of growls. One growl is if she is upset and the other is what I call her geowl of content.

when she is getting her head scratch or rub she has this low kind of growl of content as she turns her head for you to scratch a differant spot. There is a big differance in the growl of upset as it sounds like a mad dog.

Eye pinning is normal and is done when they are 1) adjust visual range while looking at an object 2) adjust for lighting 3) pinning at your hand as you approach for a step-up. #3 is what most people are referring to when the say to watch for eye pinning. As others have said and you also indicated, there are different types of growls. The I'm afraid or back off growl is unmistakable. :P

Feather fluffing can be back-off and can also be I love you and am relaxed. It's just a matter of knowing which situation it is i.e. if your approaching for a step-up and feathers fluff, head goes down and eyes pin, STOP! If it's when your talking to them and just chilling, they are relaxing and happy with goose bumps. :)

Thanks danmcq :) I am feeling much better now about the whole thing. I guess I kinda got a case of the "oh my god do I have any idea what I'm doing jitters" for no reason. I knew you guys would steer me back in the right direction.  She is doing really well and I couldn't be more in love with her 

Gemma has a funny growl, too. From the time we got her (at about five months), she would "grumble" sometimes when she seemed unsure of what was going on. She doesn't do it as often now, but at times when I'm not scratching exactly where she wants, she'll still grumble a bit. It's never been hostile, but has always reminded me of an old man muttering to himself. It's actually kind of endearing!

Not sure about the " eye pinning". Please explain a little better. If a baby grey growls, only you, can determine what the growl means. Usually, it is a growl, to warn you are " stepping into their comfort space". Typical for a baby. Ignore it, continue to work on the bonding and trusting. Growling disappears, as they become more trusting. Whenever Sophie is learning, her pupils dialate and constrict, over and over. I know she is comprehending something new. She has done this for years! For Sophie, the dialating and constricting means.... she is learning.She is interested in this new information. Nancy

My young CAG growls when he is unsure of someone, a new person in the room, or when he is a little afraid of something new happening that he does not understand. I just reassure him and talk quietly to him explaining what is happening. He eventually calms down and is as happy as can be again.

Thanks so much guys :)

Kins-the pinning is like what you describe that Sophie does when she's learning. I now understand, from people's feedback and from more observation, that this doesnt always mean that she's mad about something-like I previously thought.

Luvparrots-I think that's what her growl means sometimes. She's never mean about anything though. I try to do what you said, just keep on doing what I'm doing while also reassuring her. So far so good :)

My guy doesn't growl so I can't help you on that one. His pupils do get pinpoint small when he is overcome with excitement. Especially when I am about to touch him, his eyes reduce to tiny points. I always know that he wants me to touch him when his pupils get tiny.If you want to see pinning get an Amazon. Geez!

Also, we may give you our experiences but it really comes down to the unique personality of your bird. Just be empathetic and pay attention to what he does and how he responds. This will be your best information on how to move forward.

Life is Greyt.... eye pinning is NOT always about backing off.Sophie's pupils dialate and constrict, over and over, when she is learning something new. It has peaked her interest.Look at the situation. You can eventually tell if they are threatened, or are learning! We went thru six months when she was two, of " threatening". Since then, pupil constricting and dialating.... she wanted to learn the new word, or liked the social situation. If I say a new word, pupils go crazy.... I know she likes the word, wants to learn it. Her favorite... kotchiekotchiekoo!!!! She says it about fifty times a day! LOL Nancy