NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

is he scared of me??

Guest bailey3209

Guest bailey3209

i have had my CAG for just over a month now

he is 27 weeks old now

i had bought him for a neglected home

he is very calm in the house now accepting nuts fruit and veg from me but he is still very scared of my hand with out the food

he is very chirpy trying to say hello at the moment

is this normal for them to be very wary or is it a result of his old home owner

thank you:)

Greys tend to take a little longer to warm up. If he isn't use to attention, then that might make it a little longer. Main key is take your time be patient. He has to learn to trust you. Sit by the cage and talk and read to him. Offer him bites of what your eating. Providing that its birdie friendly. Leave the cage open and let him come to you while your next to the cage. Patients is the key. Good luck

Guest bailey3209

well yeah his cage is next to my sofa where i sit and he has free reign on leaving his cage whenever he wants im just finding it hard to understand his behaviour so far as he seems quite distant but i will just wait to see what he will be like thank you very much

Our rehomed TAG Gilbert is somewhere near 7 ten years old. He has been with us about eight months. He came in sweet, would step up, let me scratch his head for a few weeks. Then, as anticipated, the honeymoon was over. He has days where he feels confident and wants to be close and days when he trembles and shakes when I stand next to him to talk to him. The good news is that we have learned his body language and can more accurately predict when he is approachable and when he just wants to be left alone. You will learn the ebb and flow of his moods and eventually he will trust you and you will have a bond. There are some days when Gilbert will just tuck his head and let me scratch his head and neck. He is having a learning curve at the same time you are, so there are bound to be misunderstandings and wariness on both parts. It sounds like you are doing fine with him though if he will accept treats from your hand. Keep doing what you are doing, be calm, be patient and the reward will be beyond your wildest dreams. Bless you for taking on a bit of a challenge and caring about making friends with him.

Bailey... if I didn't know your bird was abused, I would say your baby is doing just fine! He really is! Find some books or on the internet, start learning how to start the " stepup, stepdown" process. First major step for new baby. I totally agree with other replies. Open the cage when you are home. Read a book, interact with family in front of baby. Make baby curious.... jeez... I want to go out there and hang with those people!

I can only stress how important, the first baby step is " stepup and down". It is a process that is sooo important. Repitition!

Just to let you know, greys are VERY territorial, and will learn better away from their cage. BUT... you have to practice the first step up, from their cage. After that, practice away from cage. Include entire family. Return baby, the first sign of stress. Nancy

Your situation sounds promising. Just be patient. You both have to learn each other. Be kind, gentle, and happy and he will come around. I also have a rule that my parrots do not get out of their cages by themselves. To get out they must step up (a hand or stick). They got it pretty quickly that cooperating with us is the key to freedom.

Good advice Katana.

Just remember what he has been through, as I am sure it was a lot. Your story reminded me of my 2 rescued cockatiels. They also came from an abusive, and neglectful home. The husband in the house would bang on the side of their cage with his hand when they would make noise, which has in turn, made them afraid of hands. I have had them for 8 months now, and I am JUST NOW able to give them scritches. They will not step up, they do now want me to hold them, and honestly, I am fine with that.

I go to their cage several times a day with my hands behind my back, and talk softly to them. I then give them some treats in their bowl. I am confident that one day we will get there, but I am not going to push them. We will get there on THEIR time. When they allowed me to scritch them, I almost had a heart attack. I called my husband at work freaking out LOL!

You will get there with him, dont worry. Just keep giving him treats so that he associates you with good things, speak to him gently, and leave his cage door open so that he may come out when he feels comfortable enough. Good Luck!

I think you are doing just fine, remember it takes time and lots of patience when working with greys especially when he comes from a neglected home and a month is not nearly enough time, it could take many months, not to discourage you but just letting you know it may take a long time but it will be well worth it when he warms up to you.