NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Been a long time...... Update on Ziggy

Samy

So I know it's been a super long time but things here have been crazy. As of Oct.1 I am no longer with the military:( so had to take on a regular job which meant crazy hours (especially with holidays coming) and less home time for less money. I am still catering (which I moonlighted with while I was in but shhh don't tell) but with the poor economy those jobs have been fewer and far between.

Ziggy has been happy that I have been gone more (Of course she is cause that means 1 on 1 time with daddy without the pesky mommy trying to make nice with me) Koko on the other hand makes plenty of noise to mark his displeasure with me for the time away. We bought harness kits for both birds and Ziggy fights like a tiger getting it on but once it is she is fine and even will let me pet her while it's on her but let her off and it's game on ( game being bite mommy as hard and as often as possible whenever she is near) I try very hard to be the nice guy in those situations and steer clear while still being in sight and talking to her. Koko on the other hand bites the living you know what at the harness and gets very upset and pants till I worry about his health with it on. I don't know for sure what to do about that. I went out and got a hard wood playstand for them and they seem to like it although Ziggy is still getting used to it. Koko took right to it and loves having somewhere else to play but once he is done playing will fly to my shoulder and want to just chill with me. Both birds are finally able to fly again the feathers have finally come in enough so when they stretch their wings there is no more dive bombing into the floor. My little garden has finally yielded some quality foods and they both enjoy the fresher then supermarket produce. We did move Ziggy's cage away from the window as it is getting colder and she seems to enjoy the alcove better then she was by the window. She still gets plenty of light and is still able to interact with everyone. She has become more vocal since the move too so I assume ( we all know what that does) she prefers being there. She has also taken to throwing her bowls around, she has managed to figure out how to remove them from the holders in her cage which is pretty impressive since I still can't figure out how she is doing it. Her favorite time is at night which of course wakes most of the house with the banging. Needless to say my kids are not too fond of Ziggy's new toy. I have been switching toys and finding new things to exchange in her cage she seems to really enjoy that but still loves to play with the bowls at night. Would it really hurt to take the bowls out at night and put them back in the morning? I don't like leaving the bowls out but really the house needs sleep too.

My oldest has decided that Ziggy should be an artist. While my daughter was painting Ziggy left the playstand and was flying towards her cage and "dropped a bomb" right over her canvas (we have yet to cage potty train this girl as she is very opposed to actually doing it in the cage) my daughter found it so amusing she kept on painting around the spot and now it is in our shed freshly varnished and drying out so that both the stain and the paint do not degrade. My daughter had a "brainfart" as I call it and tried to get Ziggy to help her draw all that was accomplished was Ziggy ruining about 50 bucks worth of fairly expensive colored pencils, and of course nipping and biting my daughter a few times while she tried to get them back.

Ziggy's latest is that she barks like a dog, she will whistle which drives our dogs running to the door and then she "woof woofs" at them and laughs. It is pretty funny.

All in all things have been as they always are here (hectic) and the "ark" continues to keep me busy. I will try and update sooner then I have been lately.

Great to hear from you Samy and what a great update on your little flock! It's always great to hear how the birdies are doing so we are always grateful for any tidbit our grey family has time to share! Glad all in well in your household. Great holidays to you and yours!

+1 on that!

• 2 weeks later...

Things here have been busy. Got all the Christmas shopping done and Ziggy and Koko will both be getting some interesting things. I have found that Ziggy likes the stockings, she has a game of flying off Daddy and trying to dislodge the stockings and then once they are on the floor trying to tear them up. It is pretty funny but gets annoying after the hundredth time of putting it all back up. She also finds it to her amusement to "help" with wrapping presents. While the kids are in school I have covertly been pulling out a few presents and wrapping them. She hops around the table nipping at me and telling me to go away while trying to tear up the paper. She has managed so far to "open" 3 presents and I am now forced to make her be in the cage while I wrap. She yells and screams at me until I take a scrap piece and ball it up and give it to her. Is that safe for her? I see where people give paper to their bird but I never really tried too much of it. Koko is not interested in toys so much but I noticed he loves the chains I bought him before so he will have new chains and a one of those birdie huts and Zig is getting a play gym for her cage it was actually kind of cool there is a store out here where they guy is making them and it hooks to the cage so it won't tip over mostly it's made out of wood but there are toys all over and climbing things and covers one whole wall. Hoping she will like it. Well got to run will catch up soon. Happy Holidays all.