NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Books Books Books

Joe Bachi

Hey guys,

Now call me old fashioned but I prefer to flip through the solid pages of a book than stare at a screen trying to read something. I believe that manuals and helpful texts should be printed in order to have easy access to them at all times, which is why I've been looking through Amazon lately trying to find a good book on African Greys, but the more books I found the more confused I got :confused:

I tried to make things easier by reading the reviews (especially the negative ones) but it lead to nowhere.

And after much research and consideration I decided to buy the following:

*The African Grey Parrot Handbook (also recommended on this site)

Do you have another possible choice? Which book did you find exceptionally enlightening?

I already have "The click that does the trick" (by Robin Deutsch) which was helpful to some extent but neglected to mention the most basic and important steps such as target training and the step up technique(I had to buy the Bird tricks DVD set to figure that one out).

So what do you think?

I don't think there are any good African Grey Books. At least I've never seen one. Most African Grey books offer very general information, and they are old, never-updated publications. I like Barbara Heidenreich for her training stuff. You will learn far more on this website!

Edited by chezron

I don't think there are any good African Grey Books. At least I've never seen one. Most African Grey books offer very general information, and they are old, never-updated publications. I like Barbara Heidenreich for her training stuff. You will learn far more on this website!

I am more than certain that this website contains more information on greys than all of the books in the world, however, it is scattered here and there and it would take a lot of time to find a specific subject :confused:

If only one of the admins or mods would gather this info and make an e-book out of it...that would be the greatest grey book ever; made by grey enthusiasts, who ask about things that are very likely to happen, and answered by experts ;)

Regards

Joe

Joe... there IS no book that can walk you thru, how to raise an african grey. We all have different beliefs. Some believe in clipping, some do not. Some believe in " open cage" philosophy, some do not.

Only you, and your significant other, can decide what works for you. No MOD, can help you. You need to decide for yourself. Remember, they have the intelligence of a five year old. They are cage aggresive, desire to love one person. Make your own plan for behavior modification. I will be glad to help you. You first need to establish your goals, and plans. Nancy