NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Budgies!

Eshana

So, I'm a little curious on something.

As I type this, I'm sitting on my bed attempting to do a seven page report for my COM 315 media analysis class. In front of me Shelby is in his cage screaming to come out, and Jon is in his doing somersaults on the floor (don't ask..I don't even know). Next to me on the floor is Sontsas cage. Sontsa supposedly is afraid of me, but he is sitting in the corner closest to me, staring at me. I'll turn to him and say

"Hi Sontsa, pretty boy!" and he'll fly to the other side of the cage. I turn to type another line, look to Sontsa, and there he is, staring at me again.

What is he doing? Is he interested in me? Or is that just his corner and he's wondering why the giant scary lady is sitting in it.

sounds like he's checking you out and that he's very curious and interested in you! i think he'll start staying in the corner closest to you soon, right now it sounds like he's just got a little bit of distrust/fear when you look at him or talk to him, but he keeps coming back. have you tried looking at him less directly? sometimes a straight on look is scary, especially in the beginning. so "flirt" with him. it took a while before our girls were comfortable with a straight on look at them. i think maybe it's too predator like or something! but he definitely sounds like he's very much interested in you!!!

congrats on your new little one!!! Yes, it does appear that he is very interested in you & what your doing... It's a getting acquainted time. Have you opened the door to see if he will come out?? Maybe have some millet ready next to you since you say he alraedy likes it. What does he do for responding to you talking or singing to him?? Can't wait to see more pics & have you post updates. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Congrats on your new fid. He is a cutie! I love your last pic--He looks like such a little Bad A$$! Thug Budgie! Best wishes and Merry Christmas to you and your fids1

Thank you! He is a little bad birdie! He has only let me hold him once, and the rest of the time he screams at me, and when I let him roam free in the bathroom (safe enclosed space with no places to hide) he has fun, catches me staring, and is all "what choo lookin' at?!"

He's adorable! I would love for you to start a new thread for him, and I an't wait to follow his progress. We have so many stories about other types of birds,but having a budgie story to follow would be very fun! I think us large parrot owners tend to forget the joy and intelligence of these marvelous little ones. I have 2 at home, but they haven't had much hand interaction with us.

They very much enjoy watching the big birdies at meal time, (their cage is next to the kitchen table) they run to that side of the cage and appear to get excited in the mornings when I get my parrots up. I do try to give them some of the toast mine get for breakfast, they will pick at it.....

They also (believe it or not) like it when my amazon crawls all over their cage....I do have to watch carefully, cause my blue budgie will try to play thru the bars and of course they are no match for her!

One time, Talon bit the nail off on him! It was horrible, I was so upset, I called the vet, and they said to just watch it and it should heal up fine, which it did.

Can't wait to hear more from your new one!

• 1 month later...

Old thread, but I just wanted to throw in that my budgie was hand-tame to the point that I could get a weight on her every day on my digital scale, but didn't like much more than that. On VERY rare occasions, she'd groom my mustache. She'd 'share' a play gym with my 'tile, but she was never really happy about it and let it be known she was the boss. Once we moved from our apartment to our house and she had a whole room to fly around in, she quickly reverted to being untame and getting her back into her cage was much more like herding. She never did talk - just had that obnoxious (to some) budgie yell and would occasionally impersonate a robin or other songbird.

I also had two as a kid - neither tame in the slightest (one was a back-yard rescue who lost toes due to strangulation by his yarn 'leash' we found him with. He bit the CRAP out of my dad as he tried to get the yarn off, so we named him Jaws). They're all a bit different. I hope you're enjoying yours.

BTW, I had mine on pellets and veggies similar to my 'tiel, with Nutraberries as treats. She lived to be 10 and died of a tumor or cyst.

3622554144_a96cf67f8b.jpg

Birds Hangin' by oblivion9999, on Flickr

aah, what a cutie. Love the colour.

Good that you make progress. He does look like a wise old men :P

I have budgies too. And even my finches retrieve back to there cages. So it's not true that budgies can't learn that. My grey+green cheek go out of their cage every day, but so does my little birdies.

• 2 months later...

I have and breed Budgies and mine are nothing like the ones mentioned in the above posts. All mine are hand tame and easy to retrieve. They know their names and will mimic your whistles and a few words. I breed Budgies and handfeed the babies so that they will remain companionable. Budgies do not have a need for 'personal space' like cockatiels do. My Budgies and Cockatiels interact very well but outside of their cages. My cockatiels tend to enjoy visiting the Budgies inside of their cage but do not like the Budgies inside of their own cages. As long as they are introduced outside of their own territory then from my experience they can become buddies. I have even had cockatiels do heart wings and try to serenade my Budgies.