NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Budgies!

Eshana

I never really considered getting a budgie. When I worked in a Petland Discounts as a teenager, all the parents would get their kids a budgie, a hamster, or a hermit crab. Those were kids pets, not pets for awesome, cool teenagers.

Now that I'm not such an ass, I've been looking for a little bird that wasn't another cockatiel, but that I could let Shelby interact with (Jon, my senegal, attacks anything that isn't me...tv remotes, cell phones, etc). I've read that budgies can be bullies to cockatiels, but also that they can get along well.

Where I am now, I don't have the room for the large African Grey cage (although from what I hear, I may be moving in February now, fingers crossed!) but I certainly have room for a budgie.

Does anyone here have a budgie? What do you feed him/her? What sort of cage do you have? I know the cages they sell for budgies probably aren't large enough, but would he/she need a cage as large as a cockatiel?

Budgies are usually kept in a cage most of the time. They're very hard to train to come back to a cage and also very hard to retrieve. They require a cage that's about 18 x 18 inches square. That size can also hold two budgies. The cage doesn't have to be the best because they won't try to chew the bars. Plastic/vinyl are the usual. They're extremely active and don't stand still unless they're sleeping. They won't go after larger birds but will make larger birds uncomfortable if the budgies are flying all over the place. Many times, people get 2 budgies to keep each other company. They enjoy interacting with their own kind. most of the time when people go to buy them, a large amount are in a large cage. Price varies according to color. They have a life span of about 8 yrs. A pair will easily breed.

As far as getting along with another type of species, it's possible that you're thinking about another species that is a bit aggressive?

They get regular budgie seed and they can be fed some veggies periodically. A decent budgie mix has the average requiement of vitamins needed.

All of the above applies to finches too.

Edited by Dave007

Thank you for all the advice, Dave!

Actually, I don't think I am...let me see if I can find it...

Generally, from a google search, it seems that it's a specific budgies bully cockatiels thing.

You may be thinking about the 2 species being housed together. In that case, they won't get along at all.

They can be handled but they prefer that you don't. They basically like the company of another bird. As I said, they're really not out-of-cage type birds. They're fun to watch as far as how they do things in a cage. In that cage I described, they get plenty of excerse. They require one or two perches, basically the twig type for the feet( thin perches). They need room to fly back and forth. They need very few toys--if gotten, they should be very small. They like eating hanging sweet seed sticks( like nutiberries).

As far as buying from a breeder----usually, the private breeders are into breeding fancy budgies. The price is extremely high ( like people who breed fancy canmaries. And as opposed to buying a parrot from a private breeder, budgies are one type of bird that can successfully be purchased in a pet store. There's very few things that a person needs to look for as far as getting a nice budgie. Basically, the vent should be made visible so that no loose droppings are there and the color of the cere should be certain colors for a male and female. The proper color is what tells the person that the bird is very young which is what a person should want. I can show you pics in the future if you need them.

Edited by Dave007

I have known a few budgies who loved to be out and about, were easy to get back in their cage, and were very very cuddly. None of those were paired up. They do like toys and different perches. I feed Charlie zupreme pellets and a seed mix and a budgie sized portion of Kito's soft foods. Unfortunately I have not been able to get him hand tame, but he jumps up on the side of the cage and gives me sharp little "kisses" when I come and talk to him. And boy does he talk! He's not shy about it either. English usually only live 8 years because they are so inbred, but American typically live 12. My granny had one that lived to be 21. This is my first budgie Blueberry. Rest in peace little buddy.

6304041971_849b9741c9.jpg

I had a budgie as a child and he was very cuddly and active outside the cage. Sadly when he was about 4 our Golden Retriever broke his wing. Then when he was 9, he got out of the cage and the cat got him. ;( . I was a very uneducated bird owner at the time and blame myself for both of those incidents. I suppose if they generally only live 8 years he did make it pretty far despite the hardships. Congrats on your new fid. I think budgies are really cool!

Edited by JeffNOK

I have read that English budgies don't live as long as American, and my thought was to get an American, but the owner of the aviary said that the English was a lot sweeter, and more easy to hold. I'm not worried about cuddling or anything, I just want to be able to give him/her lots of time outside the cage to fly around.

I have known a few budgies who loved to be out and about, were easy to get back in their cage, and were very very cuddly. None of those were paired up. They do like toys and different perches. I feed Charlie zupreme pellets and a seed mix and a budgie sized portion of Kito's soft foods. Unfortunately I have not been able to get him hand tame, but he jumps up on the side of the cage and gives me sharp little "kisses" when I come and talk to him. And boy does he talk! He's not shy about it either. English usually only live 8 years because they are so inbred, but American typically live 12. My granny had one that lived to be 21. This is my first budgie Blueberry. Rest in peace little buddy.

6304041971_849b9741c9.jpg

Blueberry is so cute! The one I'm getting is yellow and green, supposedly.

I have 2 budgies. They have one cage that is 18" high and 32" long. I have a variety of perches and toys in it. They LOVE the mirrors near their swinging perch! This is our second set of budgies, both times we had a yellow one and a blue one. All males.....both times our blue one was the one who would let you handle him and sit with you, but it takes lots of time and must be consistently worked with.

They eat seed and love mixed peas, carrots and corn. Plus small pieces of toast fed thru the bars. They prefer each other and are happy to be left alone from us. Our blue one LOVES to sit by the front of the cage and watch the other birds eat dinner with us at the table.

He's a doll! That's an english parakeet I believe. My little Charlie is a cross. He talks quite a bit too. His favorite word is pretty. Everything is pretty. He says mixtures of the phrases whatcha doin, come here, gimme a kiss, you're so sweet, peekaboo I see you, good moooooorning, Hi Charlie, Hi Kito, I'm gonna get you, Hi pretty bird, good boy, good girl, etc... :)

Eshana, how about an update? Pics?

Hey guys! I'm having a hard time getting a cell phone pick, but I picked up Sontsa (Russian for sun) last weekend! He's really afraid of everything, but my cockatiel is in love with him.; He stands on Sontsa's cage and does heart wings and sings to him. I'm hoping they'll be friends.

Here is a really bad pic in bad lighting. I'll try and take one in the morning. He's an English budgie with the regular wild colors and blue cheeks!

375879_10150487442259414_588139413_10525501_1562081087_n.jpg

Congratulations on the new cutie! My budgies have ranged from pretty handle-able to not even a little bit. They did pretty well w/the tiels, though. So hopefully yours will too.

One thing I didn't see anyone mention that they love is wet celery leaves woven thru the bars. Mine seemed to like to take a bath on them. :) And they've all been pretty big fans of millet sprays, too.

If you look at the loose celery vs packaged you'll find some bunches still have some leaves inside the stalks. I actually look for those because they're more flavor in soups, etc. But mostly because the fids like them. Phenix loves to wave them around & make lip smacking sounds for a while before he rips into them.

Not crazy about how the stalks freeze, but I throw the leaves into mash/chop/whatever-its-called, too.

lol, is this a better description? "loose" celery at least around here is not in a bag of any kind. it has a rubber band or really long twist tie holding the stalks together. it still has the "bottom" attached so the stalks are connected to that. some of the stalks still have a few leaves on them. the celery hearts around here are in a bag, no leaves of any kind attached and have been cut off the "bottom" so are all individual stalks inside the bag. they have also been washed, where as the "loose" celery still needs a bit of washing once you've cut it apart at home. does this help?