NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

how to get a amazon to eat his veggies

Codys Mom

Rocky just pics at his veggies he eats very little of them , I have been fixing the Higgins Wordly Cuisine and mixing in some green peppers, carrots, cucumbers , sweet potaoes and yellow squash kale and apple

he may eat just a small amount and then thats he is done , he eats his pellets real good so I guess as long as he is eating his pellets ,I'am going to make a special bowl of just his favorites next time such foods as sweet potaoes, apple , cucumber , kale and carrots thoose seem to be the only veggies he likes and as far as fruits go he loves apples , blackberries and pomagranites anyone else have any ideas or any good receipes that their amazons like ? I also added some cinnamin to his food tonight because he loves the cinnamin sticks you get the higgins and goldenfeast mixes

It may make a difference when you feed what. Rocky might be more interested if you feed the veggies first thing in the day while he's most hungry. You might try mixing the veggies w/apple sauce. You could try maybe 1/3 to 1/2 applesauce to start & see if that works up some enthusiasm.

If you always keep pellets in the cage, it might help if you take them out before bedtime. If the applesauce doesn't work, you could also try crushing pellets & mixing them into the veggies, or just putting a bit over the top.

The best thing you can do is keep offering the veggies. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

Some times they like one thing better than anouther just like us. Eating some is better than nothing.

With our zon Cricket if you put it in front of her she will eat it.

Great advice everyone has given you! I buy a variety of frozen veggies for my birds. I offer them in a separate snack bowl from their regular food every day. My amazon loves the yellow and green whole beans. She enjoys having a veggie she can hold and munch on. Sometimes a raw carrot sliced long or raw beans she loves also. I always offer a variety, usually mixing a few together and adding uncooked pasta egg noodles. I am lucky, my amazon pretty much eats anything and everything!

well tonight I made him a seperate dish of sweet potatoes , apples , kale and raw carrots to see if he would eat this better and he did :) he loves sweet potatoes and apples the best so I guess I will just add more sweet potatoes , kale and apples to my mixes just for my Rocky boy :)