NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thinking about an orange wing...

SKW

Hey everyone,

so I originally really wanted a grey but not sure if they would be the right choice for me right now, as I know they are a really challenging species. I've recently started thinking about and researching orange winged amazons, I really like their more gentle nature as apposed to the other amazon species. And I have always loved amazons but I think the orange winged would be better for me as I would be a first time amazon owner. Just curious if anyone on here owns one and could give me more insight on them. are they "easier" to care for than a grey? Or would it be equally as challenging?

Thanks!!

Just joined this site. I am lucky to be the proud owner of an " oranged wing Amazon," as well as a grey. Kiki, our Amazon is eight years old. Sophie. our grey, is ten years old. There is a HUGE difference!

An orange wing Amazon, is not a great talker. Screams at the top of her lungs between 3-4pm. LOVES showers, is more adventurous then all our birds, loves toys. LOVES trying new diet, especially fruits and veggies. She is the " tester", for all new fruits and veggies. She is also the best flyer.

Sophie, our grey, is a GREAT talker, has the ability to " think", up to the age of a five year old. She imitates Kiki, ( really annoys her)...

My son, is Kiki's owner, Sophie, the grey, is mine. I feed all of them. I love them both.

While I love our Amazon, there is NO comparison between the two. While they balance each other out, in how different they are, I would NEVER think of choosing an Amazon over a grey. There is NO comparison. A Grey, is amazing! I have to remind my grey.... NOT to make fun of Kiki! ( she stops!)

You need to decide, do you want the bird with " intelligence", more work as a baby, or the bird that is more into toys, diet and adventure. I'm lucky that I have both in my life Nancy

Hi SKW

I have a congo african grey and a blue fronted amazon and they each are there own parrot.

A grey and a amazon are both said not to be good parrots for a first timer, but I have to say I could not give up eather one because they both bring alot of joy into the life of me and my family.

You have to decide on what you want in a parrot. They are both are about the same to care for with some defference in diet. They both need a large cage and lots of toys to keep them busy and your time to be with them.

I have a grey and a yellow crown amazon , I have always heard that a yellow crown is a little more clamer then the rest of the amazons but I sure don't see it lol Rocky is all boy lol he loves to climb and chew wood lots of wood and he is vocal 90%of the time and loves his showers Cody our grey is a little more laid back but he does make some noise lol he started talking or at least I though he was going to talk then he quit on me he will say a few words when he wants and he does sound like Rocky some times , Rocky pics up new words very quickly and talks every day so it looks like our amazon is going to out talk our grey , they are both great birds but each have their own personality to me I think amazons are more outgoing and act like little clowns

I have a TAG, a CAG and an Blue Front male amazon. Louie my zon is a real clown and as active as any parrot I have every seen. He loves to fight with his toys and swing round and round on the boings of my home. He speaks Hindu and is learning English and he is very good at it. So to me, amazons are great talkers just like greys. Greys and amazon are very intelligent parrots, I have both and I am very satisfied with them all.

Thanks everyone for the input!

I know it really depends on the bird, but I've heard the orange winged amazons are generally more gentle and quieter than the other amazons and that's why I'm more interested in them. I also have heard they can either be really good talkers or not talk at all. I love the greys for their intelligence, beauty, and speech ability. I'm just afraid getting one would be more than I can handle.. I know every parrot needs daily attention and stimulation but I'm just nervous because greys are more sensitive.

SKW, I believe it all depends on the atmosphere a parrot is in. My two greys came to me as newly weaned babies. They were bred by very caring an involved breeders. Both are very independent and self-assured parrots. My zon was put outside when his male owner became sick and the ladies of the house more or less called him "wild" when I purchased him. He will not let me touch him but he is very sweet and active. And will go in and out of his cage as I ask him. So I believe, it is how you when you get your parrot treat him/her and how confident you are as a parront. I was a member of this forum for about two months before I got my first parrot. I asked questions and everyone was very helpful to answer them. I did oodles of reading because all the questions have been asked before and the answers are all here if you are willing to look.

• 2 weeks later...

SKW--Both greys and amazons are both such amazing birds. I would have considered an amazon if i didn't live in a condo with neighbors adjacent due to the amazon vocalizations. They are both very intelligent. I know greys get a reputation for being sensitive and difficult, but I wouldn't let that deter you if that is the reason you are deciding against a grey. I had the same concerns and joined the forum and began my reseach a year before getting my grey and feel much more confident now. If you are looking for a gentle amazon the lilac crowned amazons are known for their sweet dispositions as well from what I have read. Good luck with your decision. I know both would make a great companion.

I do believe birds are very unique individuals. All you guys talk about how wild and adventuresome your amazons are and how your greys are more sedate. My two couldn't be more different! My amazon is quiet, timid, until he gets a shower or gets on a vocalization roll. My grey is nonstop talking and getting into things. He gets bored easily and is a wild man. He streaks across our house making prehistoric noises. He loves to show off his flying and landing skills. He LOVES life! I love them both with all my heart! I feel so incredibly privileged to share my life with them. All that being said, I think it comes down to an individual bird's personality. I don't think you can categorize so quickly. If you are keen on getting a parrot, I believe you should meet lots of them. You will click with one bird more than the others and that is the bird (and breed) you should get. Good luck and keep us posted.