NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New CAG (rehomed)

Scoop

Ah, sorry! I just assumed because of the office/business room. From what I've read, CAGs are pretty good for a few hours on their own.

I personally leave cartoons on for my fids meant for toddlers. I don't know if they really ever watch, but I like to think some of the simpler ideas penetrate.

Sounds like Grim is making good progress....I just wanted to let you know what I have done for my Tia to become a little more interested in whats going on and what I'm doing....As far as getting her to venture away from her cage, that she had sat on (not very willing to leave)....First I put a new toy on the outside of her cage....left it there until I noticed she was interested in it (picking at it) Then while she was out...I moved it lower, she watched... and became interested in what I was doing, now she climbs all over her cage (I think looking for more new toys) She just seems more interested in her surroundings now. She will also climb down her new toy (not quite to the floor) but close enough to get that view... As far as getting her to step up...My husband is having far better luck than me...I did catch a glimpse on how he is progressing with it though....Always the same time, like clockwork...He walks over pets her on the nose and keeps her attention on his face kissing noises and clicks...runs his finger from her nose to her chest and she steps right up for him everytime...I get her in the morning...After everyone is gone and it is just me and the birds....She will step to the door of her cage...I can walk up and she will get on my shoulder..BUT she wont step up for me... Once she is on my shoulder she will step up to my hand....Glad to hear things are going well for you though!

That sounds great, my problem is that Grim seems completely oblivious that there is even a toy in his cage. He seems like its just stuff "to get him my way" "that I have to go AROUND to get to where I want to go" Maybe that will change sometime. Being set up to be a breeder originally in life, I dont think he got too much attention the first 5 or so years of life, and maybe didnt have a toy? I dont know. He has plenty provided now, and Im thinking of getting one of those that dispenses paper off of a roll that he can shred, maybe that will be more to his liking.

That sounds great, my problem is that Grim seems completely oblivious that there is even a toy in his cage. He seems like its just stuff "to get him my way" "that I have to go AROUND to get to where I want to go" Maybe that will change sometime. Being set up to be a breeder originally in life, I dont think he got too much attention the first 5 or so years of life, and maybe didnt have a toy? I dont know. He has plenty provided now, and Im thinking of getting one of those that dispenses paper off of a roll that he can shred, maybe that will be more to his liking.

Hi and welcome to the Grey family:-)

About the toy thing...I had the same problem with my grey. I couldn't figure out why the hell he wouldn't play with his toys. Now I know why. It has to be a special kind of toy-a shreddable toy! He was a bit afraid of new toys (when I put them in the cage) but when he started playing with the first one that was it! I know now that shreddable toys is a way to go (for my bird). He has wooden toys, foot toys, rope toys but he doesn't really like them. He plays very rarely with them but a shreddable toy he won't ignore. So my point is, you just need to find the right kind of the toy. Also, present the toy slowly to him. Let him observe it for a while somewhere near the cage; you playing with the toy and when he seems ok with it try putting it in the cage. I also stuck some seeds in one toy so Zak went for the seeds and the new toy was decapitated in two days ;-)

Good luck!