NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New member in SoCal

This might be kind of a weird introduction but...i've been looking, studying, waiting for the right hand fed baby to adopt/buy. I've been shopping for a few months, waiting till I felt ready and up to speed. Tonite I met someone with a clutch of 6 week old greys that he wants to sell unweaned...bad idea, right? ;-)

Welcome lasfloresdrive !!

It's great that you have obviously been researching and thinking about obtaining an African Grey.

Your right, you do not want to purchase an unweaned Parrot. In fact, it is illegal in California for any breeder or retail outlet to sell one, before being weaned.

As you have already noticed, there is a lot of information here on this forum regarding the care of Greys.

We look forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Welcome to the family, lasfloresdrive, glad you could join us and looking forward to hearing a lot more from you.

The others are right, you do not want an unweaned baby parrot, especially if you have never had a parrot before. Too much can go wrong and you never want to jeopardize the health and safety of your new grey.

You were right to question whether taking an unweaned baby was the right thing to do, in this case your gut feeling was right.

Look around some more and I am sure you will find a breeder that is reputable enough to sell you one only when fully weaned. I know you will be happier if you do and maybe some of the members here can help if we know where you are from.

Keep us informed of what you are going to do, we do care about everyone here and we will help you any way we can.

Hi and Welcome to the family. Yes, I totally agree, BAD idea for both you and the safety of a bird to get one so young and unweaned. Especially for first time owners.

Wait and find the perfect weaned baby. There is one out there for you. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I will wait for a bird that is ready...must have been my 'inner nurturer' tugging at me! haha. The tough part for me so far is that many of the breeders near me have closed aviaries, and the advice I get from bird people is to 'let the bird pick you'. Hard to do when you can't get near them!

Closed aviaries usually only mean you can't see the breeders.

They should still have a room for people to come see the babies. If they don't that can only mean one thing, in my opinion, it means they are hiding something and you don't want to deal with someone that won't at least let you come see the babies.

Hello Lasfloresdrive and welcome to the group. It's great to see that you have done your research, and you are wright not to purchase an unweaned grey if you have no experience in raising them, even a confident breeder may have problems now and then and the time required for regular feedings and attention is great. If this is your first grey then please wait until the bird is weaned and doing well on it's own. Some times a bargin is not a bargin, please be careful. All the best and good luck on finding a grey.

Benny