NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Senegal crawling on his back?

Eshana

Jon is a very, very weird bird.

He loves to lay on his back. Not just in my hand when I flip him over, oh no, he loves to lay on his back while playing, too. He will often lay on a pillow on his back and doze off.

383709_10150438769489414_588139413_10298964_1432418009_n.jpg

Anywhoo, recently I've noticed that if he is in the cage he will go to the bottom, where the grate is, flip onto his back, and use one talon to pull himself along the bottom of his cage on his back (the talon pushing him off from the side of the cage). Is he scratching his back? Is this some sort of weird Senegal behavior? Or is my Jon just a loopy sort of bird...

At his current age, he doesn't make a peep, not even a chirp. He lets me know when he wants something, but always silently.

(If I'm supposed to be using lie instead of lay, I apologize....tis the life of a person who grew up with grammar check...)

Jon is adorable. He looks a little like our Java from the same family. She also likes to play on her back. Whenever she is in my hand she will flip over on her back and make kissy noises and I kiss her on her neck. I think it is the cutest thing to see her little feet up in the air. Once, in my sewing room she scared me by stealing an instrument with a sharp point, the flipped onto her back to juggle it like a circus performer. She is a little clown and it looks like Jon is as well. Java doesn't talk much either. She is capable, she will come out with something clear and plain and then not repeat it for months. Her voice sounds a bit like a synthesizer, you are probably too young to recall Eric Clapton, but that is the idea. Even though Jon may not talk to you, he sure can get his thoughts across to you and communicate in his own way. I can tell you love him thoroughly.

I agree Eshana, I get so much from Java that talking is the least of my concerns. She is so loving and cuddly and has many expressions. I have noticed too that she doesn't seem to have a specific chirp or vocalization pattern. We fostered a cockatiel for a few months and five years later, she still imitates him. One of my favorite things she does is to whistle. That seems to be her contact call to me when I am out of the room. It is such a fun game. She will whistle a note. If I don't repeat it back to her, she makes the sound of a buzzer. If I do repeat it, she does the same note again but adds another one. That goes on and on until I can't keep up with her pattern, then she buzzes me and laughs. She is quite the comedian that she makes me laugh a lot, then she mocks me with her version of my laugh. Jon is a great little friend and he does look so totally relaxed with you.

If I could have found a senegal breeder before I ended up with 2 greys, I would have had one and one grey...but I ran across a grey that needed re-homed before I found a breeder, so for now, I just have to admire other peoples sennies, so thank you for the pictures and stories, I think they are wonderful birds! Maybe someday!