NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

George's Story, day 3

Jess01

Today, after not seeing George for 2 days, I walked into the room he is in and he looked so pissed. I think he was mad at me at first, he didn't talk to me or whistle and his feathers were all ruffled. After a while though, he did open up and start whistling and of course mimicing other birds that would come through, I just contined to talk to him and I feel he really enjoys it when you talk to him. When we were alone and I opened up the cage, he eventually warmed up to me and started to regurgitate for me and he tried to perch, but I just don't trust him yet. I think we need more time to bond and get used to eachother. Our bond is not solid yet, but we are working on it. Another thing I am afraid of too is that he won't want to go back in his cage and when I put him back he will bite me. I am afraid to get bit. That is why I am trying hard to solidify our bond, please let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions, but that's all I got for you so far.

Edited by Jess01

Sooner or later you will get bitten if you handle greys. The more you're afraid, the sooner you'll start to get bitten & the harder it will be to form a bond. Sorry, but it's just something to work around because it will cause problems if you don't. Birds use their beaks for everything . It's upsetting to them when you won't let them explore you that way. They actually need to before they can trust you. Also your fear & stress are read quite clearly by George & it adds to his. So you're going to need to put that to rest before you can start to build any kind of trusting relationship w/him.

I know you'd like to prove to his owner that you'd be the perfect parront, before you talked w/him about George. But maybe you've got the cart before the horse there. To me it seems like he'd be the one to ask to give you the best insights into George's personality. He might be able to help you avoid some of the pitfalls of starting a relationship w/this bird. He might be able to help George become more accepting of you sooner if he actually gave you an official introduction.

Also, you might get some insight as to how attached he really is to George. If he sounds like he wouldn't ever part w/him, then you'd be saving George a lot of trauma by realizing that you shouldn't bond w/him in any way that might cause him problems down the line.

One way or the other it's good that someone's spending time w/him, though. Maybe you can convince some of the others to pay even a little attention to him, too. Sounds like he could really benefit from whatever positive socializing you can manage to round up.

I don't quite understand what is going on with this grey. He belongs to someone and you are just wanting this grey because you think the owner doesn't like him??? If you want this grey to like you, you have to relax and not be afraid of him. Until you are comfortable with him touching you, I would not even attempt to step him up or touch him. He must first trust you and want to come to you. Greys sense our feelings so first you must not be afraid of him for him to be comfortable around you.

Edited by luvparrots

Someone that works a lot with parrots once gave me this advise when I was afraid of getting bitten:

"Think to yourself, what's the worst that can happen? A nip. It's not as if it is a lion or tiger biting you. It's a bird."

I remember being so afraid of my cockatiel biting me. Now the thought makes me laugh.

Sure, bird bites can hurt. But they can really sense when you are afraid. My spouse is so afraid of the cockatiel. He used to bite every time I took him out. I don't react. Now it rarely happens.

If you own a bird, it's gonna happen.

When I first considered getting a parrot, I was also a bit nervous about being bitten. I have basically adopted the view expressed above--"Ok its a bird bite--not a T-Rex--life will go on." My bird is still at the breeders, and I try to visit and handle her every day. She is sweet, but yesterday when I tried to put her back in her cage before leaving, she grabbed on to the bars of the cage in protest and then when I persisted she gave me a "pinch"--I wouldn't say "bite" because it was restrained and didn't break the skin or anything. It did hurt though. I didn't let her have her way and proceeded to put her little red feathered butt back in the cage without reacting. Hopefully she will learn that her beak is not going to be the most effective way to get what she wants. When she went back in her cage, I praised her and gave her a treat.

I look at it as a bite is "a bridge" to deeper understanding and trust. Some birds test you with a bite. The point is not to react when bitten. My guy USED to bite but now he sees the value in cooperation and trust. Also, if they bite (and they will) you can start to understand when they might and how you can get around the circumstances that lead to biting. This is the fun and clever part! Distraction, treats, and other sorts of rewards like petting seem to work for me. One sign my grey uses when he is definitely going to bite is he lowers his head quickly when I go to pick him up. I fixed this with picking him up from the rear (he steps up from the back of his legs) while occupying his mouth with something fun. He doesn't expect this and so it works. Try to make every interaction positive and biting becomes something, "they used to do."

I can do almost anything with Misty and he won't bite except if I try to fill or remove his water cup on his play tree when he is near it. Then I have to be careful.

He also has his own draw next to my computer desk and if he is playing in that I dare not put my hand in or I risk a nip! Other wise rarely a problem. Even when I have to put him in his cage against his will all that happens is he "glues" himself to my hand! No nipping though!

Best advice. always have sticking plasters to hand :-)