NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Lying on back

dicky601

I am now bonding with Herbie very well, he is becoming very trusting and seems to look forward to a cuddle after dinner. I have got to the point where he is happy for me to put my hands around him gently. But if I try and put him on his back he gets annoyed (although as soon as I stop he is back for another tickle). I'm not sure how I can get to the point of him lying on his back with upsetting him until he gets used to it. Is there a clever way to get him to do this without upsetting him - will he do it naturally when he trusts me enough??

I doubt it, I have been trying the same thing with Josey, and she is not cooperating, I guess she just does not enjoy being on her back. I guess some don't and if she doesn't want to lay that way I will have to accept it, but my sun conure will lay on her back in my hand, no problem.

Guest briansmum

unfortunately some greys just do not appreciate being on their back. thats not to say dont stop trying, just dont push and dont be dissapointed if he never wants to do it.

i try with my grey and he only goes on his back when he feels like it, i know he trusts me to hold him as when he's really cuddly he will just roll off my shoulder and expect me to cath him on his back, but i can't put him on it if he doesn't want to. if he wants to he will either roll on me or grab my finger with his foot and lean right to the side, this is his sign for me to roll him and get his tummy.

watch out for signs your grey may want a bit of rough play or extra cuddling and keep trying to ensure him it is safe if he feels like it, but as already stated some just dont like being on their back.

Guest briansmum

yeah i am the same with Brian, i try every now and then just as a trust building technique but he seems to enjoy flinging himself about sometimes :P i don't and never have forced him to go on his back.. i wouldn't get away with it! LOL

Makena goes and lays on his back on the bottom of the cage or in his food bowl when he wants to come out. He will lay there, feet sticking straight up in the air (I guess playing dead or helpless?) until we get him. The minute we go over to the cage he jumps up and is scratching at the door to get out.... very strange bird!! The first time he did it I was scared to death, but now I know it is just one of his quirks! :P

Well Hemingway hated it, but with lots of trying he is real good about it now. He gave me some really bad bites but it was worth it. Now Serpico, hes is doing much better then Hemingway was. Since I have helped getting the two of them to like each other they seem to do a lot of thing alike. I even got them to share a cage together while I'm working in the shop.

These guys can do anything. GREYS RULE

Joe

Good point, I should be clear that he was snoozing, I wasnt. I would be in fear of rolling over and crushing him (I'm not a small guy!!). He has also started exploring the house a lot more and enjoys going walk about, we are now being very careful to look where we are walking

Thanks for making that clear. :-)

Yes, we have the same floor scanning caution with Dayo our Grey now also. I slightly nudged him when I turned around a week ago. He had snuck up behind me at the kitchen sink. I think it scared me more than him. :-)

Isn't all this a fun learning experience?

Katie will not stand for anyone even trying to put her on her back. Rudy will let my two boys put him on his back but if he sees me he will want me to rescue him. I don't try with either one of my greys they hang upside down enough in their cage playing with each other.

Makena - Athena does the same thing! It is so cute. If she is in her cage she will go to the bottom and roll over on her back to get our attention. She pumps her little legs in the air and it looks just like someone doing the "bicycle." Of course we have laughed every time she does it, so now she knows it's a sure fire way to get our attention if she wants to be let out. :)

As far as teaching her lie on her back, she decided to do that on her own. She started with the bicycle trick, then started doing it on her big perch about 18" above the cage floor. She is more conure than grey in that respect though - she isn't terribly dexterous on two feet, but she is a wonderful little acrobat. One day I was holding her and stroking her back and she just flipped upside down on her own and laid back in my hand! She of course thought it was a terribly funny surprise for momma and couldn't get enough of my excited kisses and beak rubs.

She does it all the time now. She thinks it's a game. If she flips upside down, momma gets really excited and gives her lots of kisses. I have figured out it is one of her ways of saying "I want your attention," instead of just taking her for granted. She likes to hang upside down and also lay back in my hand. She even let me carry her around the house on her back the other day. And the other night she met our neighbor for the first time and had to show off by flipping over for him. Of course, there is a lot of trust between us so I would make sure if you try this with your grey that you do it in slow steps that don't scare her. The worst thing you can do is try to force her to learn a trick that breaks that bond. In my case, rather than flip her over without her consent, I would put her on the floor with me and roll over on my back to simulate how it was done. Every time I did it I would say "Roll Over!" and laugh myself silly to generate her excitement. Then I would give her lots of kisses. They are smart birds - they will figure out what you want them to do if you are patient and understanding! (And conversely, you should be willing to accept that they may just decide they don't want to learn your trick!)

Thank you so much for sharing your story Zandische, I am glad to know I am not the only one with a crazy upside down grey :P!! I just snapped this pic a few minutes ago... He wanted to come out, so he laid upside down across his water dish and perch.

crazy_mac_4.jpg

It is usually hard to get a pic because the minute I walk over there he usually jumps up and runs to the door! He is such a smart bird, he knows the minute he does that, I run over and open the door... I guess you could say he has me wrapped around his little talon!

crazy_mac_4.jpg

I have seen the training method for parrots to lie on their backs and it isn't too difficult.

First, get them comfortable with your hand on their backs...if this is already ok with the bird then skip.

Second, start to lean the bird back with him holding you finger...if it nips then go only as far as he wants, hold for a few seconds and reward with a treat. Keep going further back in tiny increments that the bird won't notice and do the same thing, hold and reward. Do not reward if the bird nips, so don't rush it because it can take longer in the end.

Third, once the bird can be held on it's back and hold for a few moments start to remove your finger. Reward for any improvements, not for setbacks.

Fourth, TAAADAAA!!! Your bird should be on his back for you!'

I would like to say though that not all birds will do all tricks and not to push if the bird wants nothing to do with it. You normally want to trick train a bird to do things that are already in their nature to do. You may want to start with a easier trick like waving HI or nodding yes and no.

Guest briansmum

great pick! very cute.

and yeah BMustee i'm sure it is easier with a slighty easier going bird like a cockatoo or macaw. i doubt it would be so simple with a grey :lol: unless of course THEY want to

Yes beccy you are right that it is easier to train a laid back bird than a stubborn one, but the trick to trick training is to go with the birds pace, not your own...and to give the bird a reward to make him want to do what you are asking of him. I'm sure that there is lots of birds that refuse to do this trick, but that could be due to ether the bird itself or the owners methods. Makena's bird pretty much taught itself and knows that it will get the attention reward that it got the first time he was on his back...but if you push a bird to do something to the point of freaking out it won't want to do it. I did write at the bottom of my post to not push the bird if he really does not want to do it and to start off with easy tricks…that way it knows what training is and won’t be as nervous.