NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

going away

Monica

Hi all,

I'm a new owner of a 10 week old african grey. I have had him since he was 4 weeks old and we are bonding very nicely. My problem is that in 15 days i need to go to the uk for 2 weeks and am worried he will not remember me when I get back.

Not to worry, he will remember. Talk to him and let him know you will be back. When I go to the store or something, I tell my parrots, "I'll be back, you be good". They repeat this now and they know the meaning, so talk to your grey. He will remember.

Edited by luvparrots

What will his living situation be when you leave? Greys need to have interaction while you are away. Otherwise they may feel abandoned, and that might set him back a bit. Are you boarding him with a vet? Will you get a pet sitter? As long as he is not alone, he will do fine from what I have read. I travel a lot too, so this is a concern for me as well. Of course he will remember you! Just plan carefully and I'm sure all will be fine.

LOL--I think many of us here are considered "over the top" by some. I'm single, and I was talking to a friend of mine about how excited I was about getting my grey and all the cool things about parrots. He just laughed and said , "Jeff--you need a woman!". I don't expect everyone to understand.