NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Not an Ekkie...?

birdhouse

I was floating around the web & bumped into this picture that I thought might be a color mutation of an Eclectus parrot until I eventually tracked it back to

mkp.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Alisterus_amboinensis_-Brevard_Zoo-8b-4c.jpg

It's actually a Moluccan King Parrot, also called an Ambon King or Amboya King Parrot.

Since ekkies are such unique looking birds, it surprised me to see another species that looked similar. Although some of that has to do w/the actual photo. I'd never seen anything about them before even though they're apparently being domestically bred. Thought they were interesting & just wanted to share.

ekkies.jpg

Edited by birdhouse

I've seen pictures of them before online... I do believe they're from Australia. (I didn't click on the link just now, sorry, I just remember reading that before.) They're lovely birds to look at and I remember reading, too, that compared to other parrot species, their beaks are particularly small. They're also sexually dimorphic like the Ekkies, aren't they? Like Greywings said, definitely a cousin of some sort. :)

Have to ask what price range are they in? No I cannot add any more to the flock at home just that need to know.

Hm...well...they were the small bird room, and the price was either 600 or 6000...or maybe 60000....It started with a 6, okay! :confused::confused:

So, I called the store because I felt bad about my answer, and they said that they are "625 but hard to come by". I guess they put out their best birds when thousands of people are coming to their event?

You know, instead of finding the right person....

anyway, I digress.

Big Sigh of Contentment. Love having a place to share things like this w/people who will actually find them interesting. E-hugs

Eshana, do they actually have the same type of feathers as an ekkie? It looks like it in some of the pics but I can't really tell. LOL Also too bad I can't give you 2 thank you's for your posts. Loved it.

It's a mollucan king parrot,could be found in Maluku island and some islands in papua Indonesia, might be in aussie also. A little bit bigger than lorries family in size. known as a shy bird, hard to be tamed as for the wild caught. Local price jakarta is under 100 USD. Endangered species here in Indonesia, you'll need a license to have it as a pet.

Edited by parrot14

Big Sigh of Contentment. Love having a place to share things like this w/people who will actually find them interesting. E-hugs

Eshana, do they actually have the same type of feathers as an ekkie? It looks like it in some of the pics but I can't really tell. LOL Also too bad I can't give you 2 thank you's for your posts. Loved it.

Well, from what I saw they had 4-5 in a cage, and they weren't very friendly (hid in corners, etc). The feathers were very colorful, and were very striking. I've never really seen an ekkie up close, so I'm not sure what you're asking about the feathers.

Not surprised they were hiding from all that crowd. Poor fids! I did some reading up on them after I posted. I read Parrot14's post & some other places that they're shy. Also read what JeffNOk posted that they're aviary type birds.

I don't know if you can see from these pics of Kura but Eclectus don't have a normal feather structure on the head & body.

feathers2.jpg

Think of them as fur-feathers. Even in pics it they can have an almost shaggy appearance compared to most normal birds.

feathers.jpg

Edited by birdhouse

• 1 year later...