NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pumpkin Pumpkin Pumkin

bran

I serve the cooked kind, mushy, mixed with the bean and grain "Soak and Simmer" so I am boring too. The funny thing though, our family recently adopted a five week old abandoned calico kitty with a missing tail and my daughter named her Pumpkin. That Pumpkin is not boring, but Gilbert would NOT want any part of that kind of serving. LOL. Back to the food groups though. I did get several of the pie pumpkins and cooked them combined with a couple of winter squash varieties and put away 14 cups in the freezer. I roast the different squash or sweet potatoes and share those with Gilbert and let him eat the seeds raw, it hasn't impressed him much but he is an older rehomed fellow and we have had him just over six months and veggies have to be snuck in with his beans on occasion because we haven't been able to find any that he will accept gracefully. I will watch your thread though, someone might come up with a great recipe.

can you serve the pumpkin raw or if it must be cooked, does is have to be thorough like with beans? also, can other squash and the seeds be served raw? currently i bake any squash and their seeds, thoroughly, for the girls. they're not very thrilled with it like this and was wondering so i can try these in a less mushy way, lol!

At Halloween time, I get each of my parrots a mini-pumpkin and divide one among them. So each week for 3 weeks, they get raw pumpkin to eat and scatter all over the bird room. Such fun for them, BIG MESS for me!!

So, does that mean that you give them a whole mini pumpkin? Stem, seeds & all? And they dig into it?

I also give my parrots raw squash and other vegetables. At least once/twice a week all their veggies are raw, carrots, radishes, zucchini squash, etc. They love fresh snap peas. No one cooks for them in the wild.

Yep! Raw is the way mine gets her veggies!

Thanks to both of you for the info. Our local grocery has a sale on all sorts of squash. Can't wait to try it!