NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is this a suitable cage for an African Grey?

MyGreyJAX

Hi Guys,

I am fairly close to purchasing an African Grey and need your advice. I have a 6 x 6 foot room that the cage will be kept in. Do you think this cage is sufficient for a grey? He will be by himself for 7-8 hours per day during the week and will come out for a few hours each day.

See the cage with specs here

Any advice or input is appreciated! Remember, space is somewhat limited as I have other objects in the room. Thank you so much!

I'm not very good with dimensions, but according to the internet...

Cage size: the bigger the better. You'll need a large cage for these guys. I would recommend a minimum in the area of 3 feet by 2 feet by 4 feet tall, but bigger is definitely better when it comes to housing parrots.

Although the price is good, I'm not sure the size is quite big enough, especially since your grey will be spending 8 hours a day in it. What's your budget? Perhaps someone on here can help you find a cage in your area that is larger within your budget.

One thing that you can do to help w/the cage vs room size is to look for dome top cages or cages that have more interior height. Most greys are supposed to prefer to have space to travel sideways vs up & down. But I think the most important thing is enough overall room & a good cage layout. You can get cages that have an interior height of 4 ft or more if you look.

Thanks everyone for the information! I'm most concerned with the grey feeling comfortable so if the most suitable cage costs more, so be it. However, I do have space limitations and cannot afford the largest cage out there. A lot of websites recommend a cage at least 36" in length and this one is only 26" (Sucks because this is a beautiful looking cage). I will keep searching but if you have one that you would like to recommend, by all means to do by replying. :)

I think it is much too small, especially once you put enough perches and many toys in it. Also, you say your bird will be in a 6 x 6 foot room. Sounds like he will be very isolated from the rest of the family? they prefer to be WITH the family in the middle of everything their "flock" is doing....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...