NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oboe flew away

Zoom

• 5 months later...

Oboe has nine lives! The cat, Duncan, caught him in January and he spent three days in the hospital and then several weeks more at home being hand-fed and living in a dark box on the floor of his cage. I wasn't sure he was going to make it or if he'd ever fly again. But he's as good as new now. Even better, actually, since the whole experience made him more affectionate and less bitey.

Katana, I wanted to ask you a question. You're a quilter, right? Do you use a spray fixative when preparing your quilt sandwiches? Is it okay to use that stuff with birds in the house?

Yes, I do sometimes use 505 adhesive spray, I think 3M is the manufacturer. My quilt studio is in the basement and has a door between the main floor where the birds are kept. I also have learned the hard way to turn off the AC or heat fan so it doesn't bring fumes through the cold air return ducts... or in my case paint spray, up to the other floors. Nothing terrible, I just had to repaint a couple of bedrooms after the overspray, thankfully I noticed right away and I didn't have parrots at the time. I also have an attic fan so I can open the door to the screen porch on the main floor and run cross ventilation. I would not use the adhesive spray near the birds. I have worked with the spray on a sheet covering the driveway for a spot to lay out the quilt on the ground. Only when the spray comes out of the can are there fumes to worry about. After the preparation, there is no more odor and it washes right out after you finish sewing the quilt sandwich.