NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When he doesn't want to go back to his cage

Zoom

Simon is 9.5 months old now. He's very sweet and agreeable, but he's starting to show a little more independence. For example, sometimes he'll be sitting on his boing in the window, and I'll decide it's time for all the birds to go back to their houses. I'll reach up and say "Step up," and he'll gently take my finger in his beak and move it away. I figure it's his way of saying "No thank you."

I'm not sure how to handle this. If I'm not in a hurry, should I respect his wishes and try again later? Or should I take charge and insist that he return to his cage when I say so?

I have three parrots and each is different in doing what I ask of them. My CAG, I can ask to step up and he will oblige willingly and I can put him wherever I please. My zon does not like me to touch him and so with a little nudge and verbal request from me he will go back to his cage and sit on the door of his cage and after a few verbal requests and gestures he will go into his cage for the night. Now my TAG is a whole other story she is very independent and if she had her way would sleep outside of her cage. Her cage is only for getting food according to her. I do a little threatening and some chasing and when she sees that I've had enough, she will step up and go into her cage. I refer to think of her flying around as her wanting to exercise a little before being locked in for the night rather than her being obstinate and unruly. Of course, if all else doesn't work, I just note where Ana Grey is and turn off the lights and go get her and put her in her cage. Birds do not normally move around once the lights are off or if it is dark.

Once in a while I'll honor the request to hang out. Especially if I know they might have been getting less free time for some reason. I'll still have them step up & have a conversation first. I always use my words for in & out of the cage & let them know I'm being a wonderful parront here. Hey, I'll never know what they really understand & if nothing else, it's giving them some extra face time. lol

The rest of the time starts the same way but ends w/some extra cuddling then in they go. I usually put a treat in the cages beforehand & when someone's reluctant to go in, I make it a point of putting them directly onto the cup. I also try to get back by the cage for some extra attention afterwards.

If I didn't put anything in the cages, I make it a point to go get the problem child's favorite. Then make sure they see me spend a minute w/everyone else while they get theirs. Then I go back to the problem child like nothing ever happened. So far, so good. I'm very grateful to say we don't usually have any real drama about this.

I'm not an expert, but when I ask mine to step up, I expect them to step up.

A disclaimer - when I take my CAG out, I always make sure that I have enough time to allow her to relax & hang out. It is never a quick thing, as I feel like that is unfair to her. (Not saying that is what you are doing, but it's what I try to avoid.)

My birds usually will oblige. Every once in a while, Rikki will not want to step up to go in her cage and will give a bite. When that happens, I can always tell it WILL happen before it does by the look in her eye. I usually walk way and put the others in their cage, then go back in a sweet voice with tlc in it, she will then step up.

Talon likes to fly off when I'm putting her to bed many nights, as Janet does, I have to shut all the lights off, then they willingly come with me, they can't see in the dark and it scares them.

Nilah will battle me at times, but I never let her win as being an amazon,that's not a good thing. She NEVER needs to get the upper hand. Sometimes I feel like my hand is hamburg.....:(. This only happens at night.

They always get a special favorite treat from me when they go in their cages unless it's bedtime. That seems to give them something to look forward to.

Edited by Talon

I have an older, rehomed bird and he is very difficult to entice back into his cage after being on the playtop when it is bed time. He is also cage aggressive when he gets into a grumbly mood. Recently I took a very short rope perch, bent it into a U-shape and attached it to the inside of his door. It literally changed our lives. He always has liked to perch on the top of the door. Now he perches on this rope. The beauty part is that I can walk over, give him his night night almond and close the door while he is on the perch. He doesn't have to be upset, I don't have the chance of a bite and it has been a godsend to the rest of my family because now anyone can put him to bed which means he gets time out of the cage when I am not home. He doesn't let anyone else pick him up yet, he has only been with us about six months. Also, he plucks so he can't fly so this might not be so great for a flighted bird. I just am so happy it works for Gilbert I wanted to share.

Edited by katana600
clarity

Thanks, this is all useful. I don't usually mind if he wants to stay out a little later, especially since I'm working now. I'm just wondering if I'll regret it later on, when he's two years old.

Aahh, now that's the $64,000 question. Don't know :)

You've gotten input from people who obviously have different parronting styles & have gotten different results w/birds who all have different personalities. I don't raise babies. I glue the pieces back together. That's usually about negotiating w/the dark & twisty side of a grey's psyche. It means navigating thru normal grey control issues that are out of control. This is a place where I've found it beneficial to let them have some control on my terms & it's consistently proven to be a win win w/my guys.

Whatever works best for both of you. If at some point that changes, try to be aware so you can make adjustments before it actually becomes an issue. Meanwhile, it doesn't sound like you need to fix anything that's not broken. You both seem to be happy campers & that's pretty greyt.