NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What If

Luvparrots

I am very paranoid about my parrots being lost. Accidentally flying out the door. I know I would be devastated as I know Ana Grey who loves to fly would be out the door so happy about her freedom. She always looks out the door when I go out and I find her sitting right next to the door when I come back inside. Just waiting for me to make a mistake and not close that door quick enough.... she so wants to fly outside.

I remember the recent story someone posted about a grey and macaws that where stolen from someone's backyard. I also found in the newspaper today a story about purebred dognapping on the increase because of the hard economical times. I was encouraged by the words that said "Pilfered pooches with microchips are considered by the legal system as stolen property, making a stronger case for criminal charges." Why wouldn't this also apply to any microchipped animal??? i.e. my greys.

I always notice how everyone wants you to identify your grey when they find one. Well since all greys basically look alike unless they are banded and I understand a lot of people are removing their grey's band, visual identification is impossible but microchipping is a permanent identification and makes me feel much more confident about being able to reclaim my parrots.

Others thoughts on this are welcome. How do you identify your grey if he/she takes a venture outside and someone else finds it and is reluctant to just take your word that "hey that's my grey!!!!"

Corky still has her band, but Cricket and my cockatiels are unbanded. We are looking into chips for all our pets and birds.

I don`t know how I could take the loss of Corky, Cricket or my tiels or any of my other pets.

I beleve the chip is the way to go. Other options are ear tags and ear tattoos for dogs and cats and other animals.

We have closed bands on ours and if someone found them or stole them they would need to be very dumb to try and cut off a closed band. I could also identify ours by the things they say, they know our names and where family lives and they say these things all the time. Even if they were traumatized I am sure they would scream for us. Of course you could also show it by being the only one who could touch them. Its like that one in Japan that flew off and after a few days started saying a phone number and it turned out to be the owners phone number.

I am very paranoid about my parrots being lost. Accidentally flying out the door. I know I would be devastated as I know Ana Grey who loves to fly would be out the door so happy about her freedom. She always looks out the door when I go out and I find her sitting right next to the door when I come back inside. Just waiting for me to make a mistake and not close that door quick enough.... she so wants to fly outside.

I know what you mean Janet, but really it is not that Ana Grey wants to escape outside for her freedom. It is to go where you do. The issue with birds flying away from open doors is because they are aiming for the shoulder to go with you, but many times due to the door and quicks movements as we go out trying to ensure they do not get out causes them to miss the shoulder landing spot. Then as they fly past, nothing is familiar and is scary to them.. not perch or tree stand to fly to, scary things they have never seen everywhere and thus they fly and fly. Ana Grey is waiting by the door for you, because she expects you to return the same way you went out.

Dayo and Jake both do this when one of us go outside or into the garage as well. In fact, just 2 days ago Jake was on my wifes shoulder and she walked out through the patio sliding door and I was out there sitting and enjoy the view and as I looked at her when she came out, I FREAKED, but did not show it because I didn't want to do anything that would alarm Jake. So I just said to my wife, "Jake is on your shoulder, turn slowly and open the door and go back in". As I watched Jake, his focus was on being with her where ever she went, not to escape but to be with her. He was more than happy to go back in with her. I personally believe no bird wishes to escape and be free, unless they were wild caught. Birds hatched and raised by humans view us as the flock and naturally want to go where ever the flock does (Us). They do not understand why they are not allowed "out" where we go. They will never give up trying to go with us and Dayo actually begs to go with us. He will lift his foot standing in the window looking at us and say "Want to go outside" and he does not mean in his cage, he wants to be with us.

Anyway, this got much longer than I intended, sorry. :)

In regards bands and identification, that is a big issue if there is no band, but as Jane suggested, an us us could tell them the phrases, sounds and whistles our bird makes. Micro chipping is certainly the most fool proof way if the bird is found and taken to a vet or shelter where they have a scanner capable of reading that particular chip type, which most are now "Standardized".

Edited by danmcq

I certainly do not want to test whether or not Ana Grey wants to go outside or not. She sits by the patio door when I am in that room so I do believe it is to go out. She would enjoy it until she got hungry and then wonder why I didn't come get her!!!!!! I like the fact that if someone finds a bird/animal they can take it to a vet and have the bird scanned for a chip free of charge. The fact that it is considered a crime if someone does not try to find a lost pet's true owner. I know my avian vet always asks for the origin of my birds when I first bring a new one in.

I would know Cody in a heart beat since he is a special needs bird , his right legt does not go straight it turns to the right at first we thought it was his foot until he went to the vet and I seen the x-rays it's his whole leg that was broke as a baby and healed back crooked and I blame that on the breeder for not pulling the babies in time instead she waited and his leg could have been fixed by the vet plus I would know all the sounds he makes

Unfortunately I had that what if situation. I'm glad I never had the band removed, it's the only thing right now that may lead him back to me but on it's own isn't enough, I wish I had micro chipped him for that extra insurance. The problem I've had here in the UK there is no proper register for people to check using the band who he belongs to, it only works if he is found & I happen to get chance to go see him & I can then take my paperwork proving he is mine. If he was micro chipped at least if he is taken to the vets as found they scan him & they have my details to re-unite us. Still no guarantees but better than just the band alone & for those greys that have no band or micro chips they have no hope of getting back to the owners.

I wish they would hurry up & make a GPS micro chip that is small enough to be used in pets, it would cut down on so much loss & pain.

Another idea I've had is to have a band made up with your phone number on, that way when they are found you will get a phone call to say your bird has been found.

I wish they would hurry up & make a GPS micro chip that is small enough to be used in pets, it would cut down on so much loss & pain.

Another idea I've had is to have a band made up with your phone number on, that way when they are found you will get a phone call to say your bird has been found.

The micro chip used in birds and other pets is a passive device and is only active when it is interrogated by a scanner. To work with GPS it would need a power supply and an antenna to both receive and transmit to any practical distance so it would be difficult to make it small enough to be a practical longterm solution. It may be possible to make a device that coud "borrow" power from ambient wireless signals to call out intermittently but even then the antenna would be difficult to miniaturise to a practical size as that is dictated by the received and radiated wavelengths. So I would not hold your breath!

One other point about microchips . I had Misty chipped a couple of years ago. Some time after I took him to the vet for a check up and we discovered his chip was not working or it was missing! The vet said that sometimes the injector can suck the chip out and leave it to close to the skin or just under the feathers so when the first vet did a test scan it worked as expected but may have dropped off or even been preened out later on!

The vet who put it in was an experienced avian vet . It was replaced at no cost but the moral is if your birds are chipped have it tested once in a while!

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

I would never have considered a chip could go missing. I keep thinking there is going to be a new method devised with something like the RFID they use on the toll lanes. We just got a new system in Atlanta and it is just a flat little circuit, plus the one in our credit card is pretty small. Surely we are getting to that level of technology. We might not be able to track the bird in flight like the GPS, but if we get within range it would be conceivable to get a reading if they can do it for cars from fifty feet away traveling at 80 mph. Since our greys have a tendency to hide and be quiet, if we just knew they were in the vicinity it would be an asset to someone actively searching. Now that I have started thinking about that, I've read about inventory tags that can be tracked even after the sale. What an asset it would be to our peace of mind if we had that kind of tracking aid.

The only problem with with the chip implants, is 99 percent of people who find any kind of pet do not take them to a vet or shelter to have them scanned. Some will post an add in the Lost/Found section of the news paper, post it online such as craigs list etc. The main purpose of chipping is and always has been for the spca's and animal controls to be able to scan and find the original owner should the dog or cat run away and be found/taken to the shelter.

It will always be a lottery as to what kind of person finds a lost parrot but a chipped bird stands an infinitely better chance of being returned than one with no I D.Perhaps I have more faith in human nature:D A ring may help but its main function is to show the bird has an owner and it can be an I D but it can also be removed! A properly registered chip is the best proof and a ring may help. We are not talking of dogs and cats but birds and it doesn't matter if chips were originally introduced to I D larger free roaming pets because they work very well in small animals as well.

Steve n Misty

Nothing is perfect, we can only do what we can to try to keep our companions safe with us. If implanting my companions, bird or cat/dog with a microchip in anyway helps me get my friends back I will do it. It is true some will not take a found animal to a shelter or a vet, frankly they want to keep the found creature for themselves. Not everyone is honest, but I can only pray that a kindhearted person finds my lost friend. But a microchipped animal is considered a stolen animal if the finder does not try to find the legal owner. And if an animal is taken to a shelter or vet, they will read for a chip without charge. That to me is a blessing!

The micro chip used in birds and other pets is a passive device and is only active when it is interrogated by a scanner. To work with GPS it would need a power supply and an antenna to both receive and transmit to any practical distance so it would be difficult to make it small enough to be a practical longterm solution. It may be possible to make a device that coud "borrow" power from ambient wireless signals to call out intermittently but even then the antenna would be difficult to miniaturise to a practical size as that is dictated by the received and radiated wavelengths. So I would not hold your breath!

One other point about microchips . I had Misty chipped a couple of years ago. Some time after I took him to the vet for a check up and we discovered his chip was not working or it was missing! The vet said that sometimes the injector can suck the chip out and leave it to close to the skin or just under the feathers so when the first vet did a test scan it worked as expected but may have dropped off or even been preened out later on!

The vet who put it in was an experienced avian vet . It was replaced at no cost but the moral is if your birds are chipped have it tested once in a while!

Steve n Misty

how much does it cost to get a parrot microchipped?

It will always be a lottery as to what kind of person finds a lost parrot but a chipped bird stands an infinitely better chance of being returned than one with no I D.Perhaps I have more faith in human nature:D A ring may help but its main function is to show the bird has an owner and it can be an I D but it can also be removed! A properly registered chip is the best proof and a ring may help. We are not talking of dogs and cats but birds and it doesn't matter if chips were originally introduced to I D larger free roaming pets because they work very well in small animals as well.

I'd have to agree! One day a dog wandered up onto our stoop, and the first thing my family did was check him for a microchip at the vet.

If a parrot ever wandered into my yard, that would be what I would do.

The cost like everything depends on the area in which you live. The vet will want to make sure the animal is healthy so if your parrot is not a client of the vet it might cost yo for a check-up. My parrots where chipped for $65 each plus a wellness check so for less than $100 in my area. To me well worth my peace of mind.

I hate to ever think about losing Tui but it has, unfortunately, been something that has crossed my mind in the past. Tui has her leg band from the breeder and her number is 212 JW so she could be identified by that. Also she has a toenail missing on her left foot and has always had this since I got her last year. Kind of ironic really since what we're discussing, but Tui also whistles the first part of The Great Escape after she heard me whistling it some time ago and I began teaching her it. Those would be her main distinguishing features.

Also, there aren't many people to my knowledge in this area who keep parrots - I have seen bird cages though in one house up the street from me. Not that I was being nosey, but they don't have net curtain and walking past their windows are quite large and they have birds also. If, God forbid, I did lose Tui chances are it would be her if someone saw her, or it would be a bird belonging to the family up the street from me (if they even have African Greys! I've never seen the actual birds; I can just see the cages from walking past the house)

As for micro chipping, I'm still not sure whether to get it done, mainly because I don't want to cause Tui any distress and upset her. But obviously the benefits far outweigh that, so I'll definitely have to look into prices (money isn't an issue with Tui) and see about it...

Edited by Cheshire Cat

We have closed bands on ours and if someone found them or stole them they would need to be very dumb to try and cut off a closed band. I could also identify ours by the things they say, they know our names and where family lives and they say these things all the time. Even if they were traumatized I am sure they would scream for us. Of course you could also show it by being the only one who could touch them. Its like that one in Japan that flew off and after a few days started saying a phone number and it turned out to be the owners phone number.

There was a news story maybe 4months ago on Yahoo about a african grey who flew out his owners window. He was found by strangers and the little guy knew his name and where he lived!(just the city though)They aired it on TV and his owner was found. It happened in Japan and I watched the news story but it was less impressive since I had no idea what they or the bird was saying....

As for micro chipping, I'm still not sure whether to get it done, mainly because I don't want to cause Tui any distress and upset her. But obviously the benefits far outweigh that, so I'll definitely have to look into prices (money isn't an issue with Tui) and see about it...

I was worried upsetting Misty when he was chipped. In fact Misty was fine. The vet did suggest that his nurse held Misty for the injection so he would not associate me with the "assault". In the event he took it all with no fuss. He is a parrot who generally gets on with everybody as long as they are respectful.

Steve n Misty

My Ana Grey is only 300 grams. When I micro-chipped her she weighed 290 g. She has never shown any ill effects and she has never even acted like anything was different for her. Same with the other two, not a sign they are micro-chipped. I, of course, feel I have done all in my power to make it easy for a finder of my parrots to locate me. If anyone finds one of my parrots and takes him/her to a vet for any reason, that vet can easily check to see if the bird is chipped especially if I have contacted them about a lost parrot. Because I have micro-chipped my parrots my friends are registered and if lost I contact the Home Again organization and they will issue an alert about my lost friend with pictures I can provide. I am also contacted by e-mail if a dog/cat or any chipped pet is lost in my area so I can be on the look out. Hopefully I will never have to worry about this with my companions to it is wonderful to know that I have a support system in place.