NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I have a concern

Casey Luria

I am concerned about Quinn. I know that Greys have a reputation for being clumsy but I have lived with two other Greys and they were never that clumsy. I am worried that Quinn may have a problem either with his eyes or neurologically. He falls a lot, and seems to feel his way around the cage and other places. I am pretty sure that he has at least some vision. Just the fact that he wants to peer out from his cover in the morning. If he wasn't seeing anything I doubt he would do that. Quinn seems normal in other respects. He was hachted 3/13, and he is now copying sounds that I have taught him. He never takes a treat out of my hand, maybe he doesn't see it?

Anyone else have this problem with clumsiness? I would love some feedback on this. He has been like this since I got him and I think that the breeder must have known there was a problem, I noticed it but he was young and I thought maybe that was why he was like that. He knows his cage and does better there. I put a lot of perches in the cage so that he could grab on to something on the way down and that has helped. He was long clipped when I got him and I am thinking of shortening the clip. When he flys he usually doesn't land on anything and doesn't have a nice landing. I think it might be better if he did not fly at all. Feedback would be very welcome.

Yes, greys are clumbsy but in your situation a vet visit is needed. He needs to check the vision and other possible problems. Many people will say that they have minor problems once in a while but not on a regular basis. Vets have tools to check for things like that. Since there no vets here, a professional opinion is needed.

As far as falling on the floor when flying, that has to do with the clip. Bad clips happen all the time and loads of people will tell you about hard landings when their birds were improperly clipped.

Oh yes please take your grey to an avian vet and have him checked out. If this were my grey, I would not do any extra clipping until a vet has given an opinion. My young grey was very clumsy when I first got him but in the two months he has been here, he has improved in leaps and bounds.

It`s the young greys that are clumsy or said to be clumsy and as they get older they grow out of that stage.

I have read that a bad clip can make a grey seam to be more clumsy because they use their wings for balance as they climb around their cage when they are young and older.

Their wings are used for more than just flying.

Wing clipping is a very emotional subject on this and other forums.

Quinn has been checked out and is fine. He has a new clip and it seems to have helped. He is busy learning easy words and sounds. Unfortunately he has picked up the sound my amazon makes when he wants attention and makes this sound before i uncover him and feed him in the morning. Do you think he is telling me something?

Thanks for all the responses to my worrying, glad it has turned out that i am the one with a problem.

Greetings, I have an AG for 3months (Mya) Mya has almost plucked herself bald. She also scratches a lot. Im certain she does'nt have lice or mice or fleas. but thats the only thing I'm certain about. she is very smart and active. I feel bad not being able to take her to the vet (strugling college student). Im thinking she has a skin disorder.. I dont know what to get. Can someone please help us?

Hi

A grey or other parrot which has picked itself bald will scratch alot. The skin is irritated, new feathers are trying to push out which makes a plucker want to pick more. They go after the follicles. Certain areas are more sensitive than others and the bird focuses in on those areas too. So, the problem doesn't go away easily. It does take a bird a long time to ease that problem.

There's things that can be done but it is necessary to first get a vet exam. There could be infections but since you're not able to see a vet, you may wanna trying bathing the bird very often and purchase an item called ALOE VERA JUICE which can be purchased at pharmacies or large stores which have a drug department plus you can get an ointment called ALOE VERA GEL. The juice is for spraying the bird all over and the gel is for coating areas which are very raw. I don't know where yopu live but there's another item you can purchase online which is very good for that problem.

It would be helpful if you can post 1 or 2 closeup pics of the bird's area. It's hard to judge how serious the problem is. Some people may think the problem is severe when they post but it may not be as severe as the person thinks.

Thank you Dave! We live in Wash DC. Yes, I would like to know about the other item I can purchase online and I will get the aloe vera Gel and Juice. Would you like to see a picture of her wet or dry? She scratces around her beak and on top of her head a lot!

Thank you Dave! We live in Wash DC. Yes, I would like to know about the other item I can purchase online and I will get the aloe vera Gel and Juice. Would you like to see a picture of her wet or dry? She scratces around her beak and on top of her head a lot!

If possible, wet or dry or both but focus in on the areas which you are most worried about ( worse looking areas ). I can show you pics of pluckers who have no feathers at all. They look like chickens so your problem many not be as bad as you think. As far as that product--------

Type in

AVITEC.COM

On the left, look for PLUCKING/SCREAMING---click on it

Third picture from left ( spray and jar in picture) click on it

there's 3 choices

1---premixed bottle

2--small jar, powder in it (8 oz)

3--large jar, powder in it (16 oz)

-------

Get either 8 oz or 16 oz jar with powder in it. Stay away from premixed bottle

1 rounded teaspoon powder to 8 oz room temp water in a sprayer ( comes with it's own tiny spoon. Shake well--Heavily soak your bird down once a day. If any remains in the sprayer, use it on any other birds sitting around if you have any. Discard what remains at the end of the day. Repeat the next day and remember about the soaking and no towel drying. Your bird may stay wet for a few hrs and that's good because it gets into the skin.