NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can Greys have fleas?

taco333

No, parrots don't get fleas. usually fleas hit on other types of animals outside of the house and bring them in a house.. They land and quickly hop off but if you do know that you have fleas outside, you should use a pesticide in those general areas not so much for birds but to keep them off your dogs and cats or other 4 legged animals you may own.

Can they get mites?

Rarely. If a grey is fully feathered and in good health with no skin problems mites don't show up. They will occur on parrots who have exposed skin disease. The parrot who's most open to mites are budgies and it occurs on their ceres if that area is damaged or have breathing problems.

Every thing I have read supports what Dave said and in the 40 years I have had cockatiels and the eleven years with larger birds they have never had fleas or mites.

We have dogs and cats and we live in the country on a small farm so from time to time we deal with fleas with the dogs, cats and the goats

From what I've heard Greys can't get fleas, but they can get mites, although this is extremely rare with domestic bred birds. When I took Tui to the vets last year about her plucking, the vet mentioned mites but said that it's very rare to see mites on pet birds and didn't really look any further. With fleas, I don't think they can actually attach themselves to a bird's feather like they can with a dog, cat or rodent's fur. Fleas, mites and even head lice are all specially adapted to the environment they live in so fleas are more adapted to animals with fur rather than feathers.