NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Raw sweet potatoes???

Jmi H

Hey, i would like to know if its completely fine to feed my African grey raw sweet potatoes. I have read here in the veggie list that its fine, but when i looked it up online it wasn't mentioned if i can feed it raw. I think that people can't eat raw sweet potatoes, so how is it okay for African greys to eat them raw?

Isn't everything healthy for us, healthy for them?

I am just a bit concerned :confused:

Thanks everyone :D:D:D

not sure, but great question! i've tried searching on here and on web as well and haven't found a straight answer either!

what about raw pumpkin/seeds, zucchini, other squashes/seeds in general? thanks in advance!! :)

Edited by thenabrd

Sweet potatoes are our friends. Very good nutrition for both fids (furry & feathered) & their parronts. We eat them often around here & they're in a lot of the bird mashes that I make. The link ref'd is a longish article that some might like to read, but these are some of the relevant highlights.

"Sweet potatoes are actually a completely different vegetable than regular potatoes. They are not even in the same botanical family...

The most well-known of the sweet potatoes is probably the vegetable that most people refer to as a "yam"...

Sweet potatoes do not appear to place our blood sugar at risk as much as their more common counterpart, potentially because they are about twice as high in dietary fiber as ordinary Russet Burbank white baking potatoes, and this doubled fiber slows down digestion and the release of sugar...

Like potatoes, sweet potatoes are a very good source of vitamin C, and a good source of copper, fiber, vitamin B6, and potassium. While potatoes are a good source of manganese, sweet potatoes are a very good source of this trace mineral and a good source of iron...

The vitamin C and beta-carotene in the sweet potatoes work as powerful antioxidants to help eliminate free radicals, molecules that damage cells and cell membranes and which are associated with the development of conditions such as colon cancer, atherosclerosis, and diabetic heart disease...

Unlike potatoes, sweet potatoes do not contain nightshade alkaloids...and these substances can sometimes provoke allergy-related symptoms. The nightshade alkaloids are completely avoided with a change from baking potatoes to sweet potatoes because sweet potatoes are not part of the nightshade family. Although not clearly demonstrated in research, a switch from potatoes over to sweet potatoes might be especially helpful for individuals with inflammatory joint-related problems like rheumatoid arthritis."

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=69

Edited by birdhouse