NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Very concerned first time owner ... a lot of questions !!!

bivsw

She loves water :) Especially taking baths, I put wide container of fresh water on top of the cage, she dips her head in it and sprays her flapping wings ... I came up, dip my hand in the water and sprayed it on her :) She was so happy, flapping her wings .. until she got all wet :) and didn't wanna bath anymore :)

Wow, if you have a grey that truly likes getting wet you've won the birdy lottery. Most greys on this forum act as though getting wet will kill, or at least severely hurt, them.

=bivsw;239449]I try to teach her how to say something simple like "pretty girl" ... or my name ... but she doesn't seem to respond, she's only talking when she wants to (like right now as I type this message) ... and says something jibberish. I need to read up a little more on how to teach greys to talk.

Important grey lesson here, they will almost never decide to say the things you would like them to, but if they hear something you'd rather they not repeat odds are they'll learn to say it right away. For example, I've said "good morning" to Dorian every morning for the past 5 years and he's never repeated it, but when I got a new toaster oven that had a really annoying beep he learned it in an hour and it was the new favourite sound for weeks.

Also, I don't know what to make of it ... She always scratches her peacock ... I'm worried that she might need some vitamins or something else ... She used to bite her legs up to the point that she'd hurt herself ... Previous owners said she did it 'cause of stress ... I try not to let her do it anymore, I give her a fruit or something to bite on and tell her not to bite her legs ... She seems to understand.

Thanks.

OK, I think you mean her beak, also known as the thing that she uses to bite you when she's not happy with you. :) Greys rub their beaks on surfaces like their perches all the time to groom them, clean food off them etc... If you do see her starting to hurt herself don't react dramatically, just calmly offer her something else to chew on, and make sure she always has access to toys that she can preen, pick at, and destroy instead. Go to the home made toys forum to see lots of cheap toy ideas.

As for the best way to teach her not to bite, the same tip about not reacting with drama applies here too. When she is being gentle she isn't actually biting. She's just testing your hand/fingers to see if they are a stable perch. If she truly bites you DO NOT give her a big excited reaction. Greys love big reactions and big drama and you may actually teach her that biting you results in big time fun reaction! They can read our facial expressions, so just calmly shake your head, say 'no' in a sad voice, and make a sad face. If you can, set her down and walk away, or turn your back on her for a few seconds.

If you keep a few things in mind it will help you figure out what to do to help her settle in and become a good companion bird.

1. They are flock animals. In a flock there is no dominant/submisive relationship like with dogs. What your bird wants more than anything is the security of being with her 'flock', and that's you. That's why turning your back, just for a few seconds, and ignoring bad behaviour is an effective training technique. Then you start your interaction with her again. They are very smart, and she will figure out what behaviour the rest of her flock expects.

2. Try asking yourself how would you expect a 3 year old child to react in a similar situation. Imagine if you went in one day to a strangers home and picked up their 3 year old child and moved her and all her things into your house. Now imagine that child speaks a different language than you do. Even if the home she was in before was a bad home, she doesn't really understand that because it's the only life she's known up to now. Would you expect that child to give you kisses, sit on your lap, tell you she loves you, right away? She might at first if you demand it because she's frightened and she doesn't know whats going on, but she'll soon start acting out and letting you know she's not happy. It's great that your new bird seems to be accepting you, but don't push too hard too fast. It takes different birds different lengths of time to feel safe and confident in a new home, but the time and patience you put in now will pay off big time in the years to come.

3. Learn a grey's body language. There are lots of good posts here about body language, just do a search at the top of the forums. If you get a bite, don't get mad at her. Chances are very good that she felt she had to bite you because you didn't pick up on the more subtle (and less painful) signals she was sending you. Punishment, like tapping her even gently on the beak or head, NEVER works in the long-term with a grey. All it will teach her is that you (or in this case your roommate) is not to be trusted, and without trust you'll never have a good relationship with her.

Just do alot of reading here, and encourage your roomate to do the same. There are a whole group of people here who will help you and cheer you on as you make "bird" part of your family!

Edited by Acappella

I'm facing yet another challenge :) I hope you guys can help me with that as well.

Now that she's all comfortable and used to the new home she talks ... and I mean ALLLLLL the freaking time. She sits in my room next to my couch and TV and just says something or makes noses NONSTOP ... It's pretty much impossible to make her stop, like when I'm on the phone or trying to work or watch TV ... unless I give her something to eat or a carton to chew on, she will chat and chat and chat with no end in sight. I'm really happy that she tries to communicate with us and feel happy, but not ALL day EVERY day ...

Is there any technique I can use to teach her to be quite for a while? I try to tell her not to whistle loud or scream bloody murder every time TV or music is on, but she doesn't seem to understand.

Thanks.

Edited by bivsw

I'm facing yet another challenge :) I hope you guys can help me with that as well.

Now that she's all comfortable and used to the new home she talks ... and I mean ALLLLLL the freaking time. She sits in my room next to my couch and TV and just says something or makes noses NONSTOP ... It's pretty much impossible to make her stop, like when I'm on the phone or trying to work or watch TV ... unless I give her something to eat or a carton to chew on, she will chat and chat and chat with no end in sight. I'm really happy that she tries to communicate with us and feel happy, but not ALL day EVERY day ...

Is there any technique I can use to teach her to be quite for a while? I try to tell her not to whistle loud or scream bloody murder every time TV or music is on, but she doesn't seem to understand.

Thanks.

So, you have a situation in reverse. Many people would wanna trade places with you.

I don't know how old your bird is and how long you've actually had the bird ( days ---weeks) but any habits that a bird has from a previous place will stay with a bird. Talking is one of those things that's basically ingrained into the bird. They're known for their talking ability. A bird who's a good talker will talk even more as he/she gets more comfortable but many times, that routine lessens as the *****thrill is gone****.

You can try putting her away from the area that you socialize in. In many situation, a TV or radio or music will start the bird off. Many people who leave the house to go to work all day are told to put on the TV or radio or music that runs in a loop so that the bird doesn't feel alone.

I don't know what type of chew toys you're using but if they're the type that can be destroyed quickly, that won't work.

Greys are well known to be extreme chewers and their favorite thing is wood so if you can get or cut a 2 inch by 4 inch block ( 1 inch thick) of hard wood, drill a hole in the middle, put a chain in the middle and hang it in the cage, that'll keep a grey very busy and satisfy him for long periods of time. The wood doesn't have to be colored. It doesn't have to be purchased in a pet store.

Also, you can purchase a cow bell ( about 2 to 3 inch diameter) from a pet store and hang it in the cage. It's heavy duty. It usually comes with a chain. A grey likes to have mock fights with it for hours and keeps them busy. Some will say to put a cover over the cage but in your situation I really don't think that'll work but that's my opinion. I've used blocks of wood for years even though there's never been any problems. I gave them wood because it was satisfing to them. Long term chewing is good for them.

Edited by Dave007

Thanks.

My new grey is the exact same but I actually enjoy all the chatter & all the stupid noises. It is part of grey ownership & I don't think you can really change it to be honest.

The best you can do, is do the things Dave007 has suggested to give her something else to do like some wood to chew. You could also get some foraging toys & fill them with food & that will keep her occupied for longer while she is eating. Also if she is making noises you don't like, all you can do is ignore them but reward the stuff you don't mind listening to like talking etc. So if she is screaming bloody murder, totally ignore it & don't let her see that it annoys you in any way & most definitely don't tell her to shut up as that's what she will want. Ignore the unwanted noises & reward the good noises with praise, tickles & treats.

...... she talks ... and I mean ALLLLLL the freaking time......

Thanks.

Definitely a female then :D

Greys love to get a reaction from their talking so what ever you do don't raise your voice to her.

Other noise in the room may set her off but you may find that talking gently back to her or whistling with her helps. It won't shut her up but she may not be so loud. They also like to run though their vocabulary and experiment with words at times. Of course you could try ear plugs :)

Either way be grateful she is not a cockatoo or macaw.. they can make ears bleed and I don't mean by biting them!

A silent bird may well be a sad bird.

Steve n Misty

Either way be grateful she is not a cockatoo or macaw.. they can make ears bleed and I don't mean by biting them!

A silent bird may well be a sad bird.

Steve n Misty

Well said, don't forget Amazons, they can be noisy little buggers too! Of all the parrots greys seem to be the quietest, not so much screaming or shrieking but more talking & funny noises. There are exceptions though, my Murphy was a shrieker for about 7 months when I got him as a baby but he soon got over that.

From what I've learned about parrot bites, I usually don't pull away. The bird will bite me, and I will complain about it without actually pulling my hand away (as much as that hurts, ack!)

Russian is your native language? My boyfriend is Russian, so his dog Kappa only answers to Russian. That's how I've been building my vocabulary!

Previet Kappa! Ahh-dee-suuu-dahh Kappa!

i tried that tactic a few times with my Orange Wing Zon and it didnt work. i have scars on my hand where he tore into me. one time he would not let go and i thought he was going to break my finger bone.

Important grey lesson here, they will almost never decide to say the things you would like them to, but if they hear something you'd rather they not repeat odds are they'll learn to say it right away. For example, I've said "good morning" to Dorian every morning for the past 5 years and he's never repeated it, but when I got a new toaster oven that had a really annoying beep he learned it in an hour and it was the new favourite sound for weeks.

!

Lol Yea. i have a similar story. A friend of mine has a grey and tried for years to teach it "hello Human" well one day my friend stubbed his toe pretty bad on the coffee table and let out a very loud "G Damnit" well with the emotion and excitement he put into his curse word is all it took for his grey to pick it up and become his fav word for months. lol