NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Music & your fids

pikachu

Dayo likes pretty much all types of music. He responds most physically to music with strong drum beats by dancing, bobbing his head and beat boxing to it. To more instrumental music, he will normally start weaving side to side and/or whistling along to it.

There is no doubt, they love music. :)

My birds also like music with a strong beat. I play African drums, and my dancers are more likely to dance to just drumbeats than anything else.

Since so many parrots seem to respond to music and rhythm, I have often wondered what value that sense of rhythm has for them in the wild.

Hmmm - I'll have to find something with a drum beat.

Greys must be the original beat boxers.

Ke$ha huh? Nice!

I'd much prefer dubstep or the Mieville-esque jungle, but no...all they want is Ke$ha. This is why I will never have kids.

I'd much prefer dubstep or the Mieville-esque jungle, but no...all they want is Ke$ha. This is why I will never have kids.

Maybe they like Ke$ha because they are pre-teens? ; )

I'm lucky because my (human) children grew up listening to classical music & that is what they prefer. Sometimes the boy forces me to listen to other stuff. : ears bleeding :

Dayo likes pretty much all types of music. He responds most physically to music with strong drum beats by dancing, bobbing his head and beat boxing to it. To more instrumental music, he will normally start weaving side to side and/or whistling along to it.

There is no doubt, they love music. :)

LOL....more ways Isaac is like Dayo. He loves it when I beat box to him and is slowly learning how to do it himself. Bobbing his head and doing the parts he can. Cute.

, I have often wondered what value that sense of rhythm has for them in the wild.

I believe it has everything to do with their natural wild instincts. They pay very close attention to the tone of voice we use on each word. I thought it was just me going mad, but I say "I hear you" like you would to a young child in various tones when he contact calls for me when I am in another room. Many times when he hears me, he will whistle the exact notes I use when saying that phrase and of course he will say "I hear You" at times as well. Tone and rhythm are key to many things in their world. This phrase is not the only phrase he will whistle back, as well as speaks at different times.

Small tonal nuances mean very different things in "Parrotese".

Edited by danmcq