NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Nail Clipping

azv

Hi Everybody!

About 10 days ago I received my new Congo Grey.

He's 3 months old, hand-fed, pretty used to touching and such.

He's walking very slowly on the play-top of the cage, looks very insecure, but he's definitely catching up.

When I'm asking him to step up to my hand, he comes up- but he usually insists on climbing my hand all the way to my shoulder.

Now, this guy have long nails... My hands are all bruised by his nail :)

I called the breeder, and he said that he didn't clip the nails, he just did some filing on the nail-edges.

He also said that the grey is holding my arm very strong with his nails, as he feels insecure now, and in time, the grey will losen up his grip, which will lead to not feeling his nails.

The breeder also said he doesnt recommend to clip the nails.

I wanted to ask-

should I go to a vet or so to clip his nails?

I mean- if the parrot is better off with the longer nails, and if indeed his grip of my arm will losen up (which will lead to less bruises)-

I can wait.

I'd love to get your advice!

Thanks!

All greys at that age have slender claws and the tips can pinch. The claws are fragile and they need to exercize and learn about their gripping power.

***should I go to a vet or so to clip his nails?***

Yes since you have no experience at doing it but there are other things you can do in between trims

1---purchase 1 or 2 sand or concrete perches--6 inches long. 3/4 diameter. They can keep your bird's nails blunted and possibly help avoid any nail clipping in the future.

2--Take out any smooth straight perches and put in some irregular sized, bent, knarled perches in the cage. Basically, they're branches. They help to strenghten a bird's foot and gripping power.

Now as far as those sand/concrete are concerned, many people say that the perchjes are too cold or too hard or too sandy and in general, they're bad for the bird's feet. Welll, I can tell you that if a bird experienced an uncomfortable ( too cold or too hard or too sandy) perch, he wouild definitly leave it if there's other types of perches in the cage to choose from. If not, then the bird feels quite comfortable. All three of my greys sleep on their concrete perches and they're the ones that made the choice. None have bad feet. 2 never need nail clipping.

Bruises--well, this is the time when you're gonna have to get used to a few different things concerning your bird besides claws. Your bird doesnt know it's caoabilities yet and you're gonna be the first one he's gonna *tell* when he learns them.

Basically, it's called **Welcome to the Parrot World*

I use sandy perches for my fids, they help trim their nails. You can get them at local pet shops or on line. Our birds use they nails for gripping so they have to be relatively long. Some here have their vets clip their parrots nails.

azv you should introduce yourself in the Welcome Room and tell us a little more about you and your new grey.

I have had Misty since he was two years old, he is about nine now. I have never had to clip his nails because he has all kinds of tree branches of different sizes that he is always climbing on. The bars of most parrot cages are quite useless for talon trimming. If you let him climb around your arms with his sharp nails your skin will soon develop hard calluses and you won't notice after a while :o Of couse it is best to have an experienced vet do the trim because like his beak his nails have blood vessels that will bleed profusely if they are cut. Parrots do need their claws to grip but suitable climbing perches will keep them naturally trimmed

When I first got Murphy his nails were very sharp & it hurt to hold him on the hand, I tried a few different perches but only one worked & that was the concrete twister perch. It was one of the best things I ever bought & soon trimmed the sharp tip off his nails & they stayed trimmed all the time I had him. I also have a variety of different size & shaped perches inc a few natural branches & I never had to clip nails again.

Our CAGs nails were very sharp as a baby. We had them trimmed. We haven't gotten them trimmed in the couple months we have had her. I can tell that they have gotten longer, but they don't hurt anymore. I think that she really needs them to grip her manzanita tree stand so we will probably leave them as they are.