NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

Katy

Hi everyone, I'm a new member with a 1 year old CAG, Simon. Looking forward to learning all that I can to keep my African Grey happy and healthy from the experienced owners, and hearing about your birds and other pets.

We fell in love with this guy at our first meeting. I waited about 10 years, until the time was right before actually committing to the time involved for care and training of a CAG. Now that I'm retired, I was ready for the challenge. This guy is simply amazing, and I can't believe his intelligence! He is learning to talk and speaks very clearly, using my voice and at times my son's voice. What a character! We never know what will come out of his mouth!

Our family also consists of 3 dogs, a GSD, Schnauzer and an Ibizan. One Himalyan cat, Bubba and a Cockatiel, Sully. Simon loves them all but especially the German Shepherd. He bosses him around and tells him to "sit" then tosses pellets and fruit to him. We live in the country and Simon is learning the bird whistles and calls from the many species that live in our evergreen trees. Sometimes it hard to tell if it's him or the birds outside. It's incredible how fast these birds learn.

Hi Katy, nice to meet you and Simon. I also waited until I was retired and my kids were grown before first getting my grey. My fids keep me as busy as my three children did!!!! When you said evergreen trees I assumed you were in Washington State, but alas you are not. I am looking forward to hearing more about Simon and seeing more pictures of him (love the avatar). Welcome to the Grey family!

Hi Katy and Simon and welcome to the grey forum. Liveing with a CAG is life changing, and a lot like haveing kids all over again.

OH WE LOVE PICTURES

Oh you are absolutely right about that Ray! I'm finding that it's like having a two year old in the house again. One minute he wants to be on me, and the next he wants to explore his world. He even has the "NO" down like a little kid.

Hi Katy, you are going to love it here!! Lot's of great help & information, and we are ALL animal lovers! Most of us have other pets besides our greys also. :) Simon is going to bring so much joy to your life! Love his name!

Thank you so much ChelseaB, I'm finding great information here. I am trying to learn all that I can about these magnificent creatures. I've had birds all of my life, but this guy has been really special joy.

BTW, Simon was named after Paul Simon the singer, not "Simon Says." All of our pets names start with a "S" except the cat...he's just Bubba. The GSD is Sebastian, the Ibizan is Serena, Sophie is our Mini Schnauzer and Sully is our Cockatiel. I tend to do the SSSSSS thing, like a any mom of multiple kids when I call them. OMG...does this mean I'm getting old? LOL My kids are starting to call me Dr. Dolittle, because of my love of animals. Nurses are natural caregivers, even after retirement. :)

Welcome Katy and flock! It's great having hear. Thanks for such a nice introduction. You'll never be the same after sharing your life with a grey and you will never view non-human creatures the same either. :)

Thank you for the welcome Dan. I am enjoying this bird so much. All of our non-human family members hold a special place in our hearts, each one is unique. Our GSD is the best example of an animal that understands our moods and our needs. He speaks volumes with his eyes and is so willing to do what we ask. Domesticated animals are a whole a different thing than birds, or other "wild" creatures. They are so much easier to train and understand for me, because I have always been more of a dog person. I do find it amazing that this little guy considers us all part of "his" flock. I'm learning that I have to switch gears from a pack mentality, to a flock mentality with him. Thinking like is a bird is more challenging also! He certainly keeps me on my toes.