NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

visited Sky

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

we just got back from meeting Sky the sun conure and her mum and dad. she's lovely and obviously has a strong bond with the lady that owns her, i did get a few nips though it was deffinately a defense thing because i approached her, she wasn't attacking.

she has just turned two, i had a good look at her and she is in perfect feather with sparkly eyes, she was very active and cherpy. they took her to the vets 10 months ago for a full check up and she is in perfect condition.. i say "she" but they haven't had her DNA tested they were just told she was a girl and stuck with it.

she is fully flighted has lots of toys and has a good diet, her cage was clean and she's had lots of love and attention. her owner had her out playing and showed me how sweet she can be and encourage me to try get her to step up, although she didn't. she said the bird didnt like her when she first got her but it didn't take long for her to warm up.

i thought she was beautiful and i really want to give her another good home i am just so worried of how this could effect brian. :unsure: i really don't want him to feel like he is having his beak pushed out and although i would never do that, he is a grey after all.

Well Beccy, I did the exact opposite, I got my sun conure first then my grey. My sun is jealous of the grey but she is on my shoulder more than the grey is, and they do not get along, but they tolerate each other. As long as I keep one on each shoulder they are fine, but I cannot let one of them creep over onto the opposite side or the grey gets nipped. I think if you handle it right, each will be ok with the addition of another bird.

I can tell you really liked this conure and I am sure she will come to accept you and bond with you in time, and Brian will be ok with it as long as you don't let the amount of time you spend with him suffer from the addition of the conure. You can do it, I know you can, and you will be happy with both of them, I'm sure. Give the little bird a chance, she will be so loving, you will wonder why you hadn't already owned one before.

Beccy, She sounds adorable. I can't advise you whether it is right for you to get her or not. I only have Talon, and my 2 sons have just gotten 2 parakeets. I know I wouldn't have the time to give the attention to 2 birds like I'd want to. But many do it and do it very well. Good luck and you do what is in your heart. You'll make the right choice, and we all here support you in your decision. Please keep us posted! :)

I have gotten my blue quaker after I got Que but I had two other birds here before I got Que.

She does not seem to care. All of mine share the same playstand but never together.

Keep in mind you'll need to QT for 45 days. During that time brian should be able to hear Sky and get use to the sounds of her in the house.

When you do move Sky into the family room don't keep their cages to close.

Most birds do just fine to the added company.

Sounds like a wonderful bird. I would get her if I was in the market.

You may however want to clip those wings to help her bond to you. You can always let them grow out after you build a relationship with your new bird.

Good Luck

Guest briansmum

it looks like they have decided to keep sky, it seems the reality of someone taking her away hit home. this is sad for me, but great for Sky. thankyou all for your advice, as usual you've all been stars :)

Guest briansmum

i think steve and i are going to wait till winter is over and look for a baby sun next year, i think he was really looking forward to having a birdy in the house he could play with (yes i have converted him!!) he watched me build a bond with brian and he wants the same :)