NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Mental illnesses?

Tule

So for some time I have been wondering if Greys, or more likely parrots in general, can suffer from any mental illness. I found out some months ago that squirrels can have Down Syndrome. I also read just today that birds can have epilepsy.

I've looked it up a few times on google, but all I get in return is maintaining good "mental health" in your parrot, which is not what I'm looking for. It would seem to me that maybe some kind of mental illness might be the cause of those "few" Greys and/or other parrots who just don't ever talk like us. Anyone know anything about mental illness in birds? Down's, autism, even senile things like Alzheimer's?

Also, somewhat related, I've wondered if the learning of speech by parrots is something like that of humans in that when you are young you learn language incredibly quickly and almost instinctively. As you get older though, learning a new language is a lot harder. Could this be similar in parrots?

You know...this is something I've wondered about all animals. Did Alex the grey have Aspergers? Is that why his cognitive ability was so amazing?

I'm not saying this to brag, or anything, I'm honestly not, but my cockatiel Shelby is freakishly smart compared to other Cockatiels. His cognitive ability with speech really scares me sometimes. I've never met a Cockatiel with this level of speech understanding.

That is an interesting question. You would think that any predisposition to mental illness would quickly be selected out in a any kind of wild population. But not necessarily in birds that are being cared for as pets.

@ Eshana: I definitely believe you about Shelby's precociousness. I have two blue-crowned conures that are the same age, same history - in fact, they were clutch mates. The female is way more intelligent than the male. She surprised the staff in the pet shop when she started talking as a baby. She picks up things very quickly, often after one trial - both vocalizations and behaviors. I've had her watch me when I say something new and then try to repeat it after me. She's really good at using speech in context. We laugh and say that she's the smart one, and the male just carries her books for her.

I often wondered the same thing. As you know, I have 3 parrots. Rikki my cag appears to have a mood or personality disorder. she is incredibly moody, can be sweet as can be one minute, then turn on you the next for no apparent reason. Some days she is a miserable grouchy bird, others she is as happy and calm as can be. we never know what the mood of the day will be.

I know Some of you probably think it is something in her environment that triggers her moods, but I am very attuned to her day and what goes on. I DO see it appears to be in her brain, not anything. Her day can be very structured and the mood will be calm one day, the next, she is crazy and grouchy. Calm days, are the same, grouchy one day, sweet and calm the next.....

*****It would seem to me that maybe some kind of mental illness might be the cause of those "few" Greys and/or other parrots who just don't ever talk like us.*****

Greys are always talking. As they age, their vocabulary increases. All of this has to do with them discovering the huge amount of bird sounds that become more intense and lengthy. That is referred to as natural bird talking. Mental illness (which they don't suffer from) doesn't affect their ability to learn these things. Human talking is simply the bird learning to mimic which isn't done in their natural habitat. Too much importance is put on the ability of a bird who learns to mimic human sounds. Anyone judging a bird by this talent of mimicing human sounds simply doesn't understand that their bird is constantly talking to them in parrotese and many people never take the time to learn their bird's natural language. So many people are disappointed that their bird doesn't mimic human language. Lets face it----at least 80 % of grey owners bought those birds after they heard about their great talking abilities.

*****It would seem to me that maybe some kind of mental illness might be the cause of those "few" Greys and/or other parrots who just don't ever talk like us. ******

That's already been answered above.

******Did Alex the grey have Aspergers?****

No, he had an experienced person work with him for many years and this person had the ability to teach his to bring out his talents. Alex had a limited amount of human words that he knew. Approx 100--125 words. When people discuss him, it's his other talents that are talked about. I know greys that hae a 700--800---word vocabulary but they can't tell a person whether an object is round or square.

Aspergers is a mild form of autism. Birds don't suffer from any type of autism. Alex died from hardening of the artieries, not mental problems

*******I've looked it up a few times on Google, but all I get in return is maintaining good "mental health" in your parrot, which is not what I'm looking for.*******

That simply refers to keeping a certain type of bird active and interested in it's surroundings, people, objects, activety. Doing that with greys is important because they can get bored very quickly. Mental illness doesn't apply at all.

******I also read just today that birds can have epilepsy.******

Epilepsy in not a mental disease. It's a misfiring of nerve pulses and neurons that can affect different lobes in the brain. Hence, that's the reason that there's approx 3 to 4 different types of epilepsy in people.

The misfiring of nerve endings in a bird's brain is what causes epilepsy and it's not a disease. There's many famous artists, business men, designers, scientists plus blue collar workers who do dangerous work who have epilepsy and they're doing quite well. My brother in law has epilepsy and he works as a firefighter.

*****even senile things like Alzheimer's?*****

Alzheimer's is not a mental disease. It's a slow wasting away of certain brain connections which causes certain defects to occur some more severe than others.

Alzheimer's is called----Alzheimer's Disease, not Alzheimer's Mental Disease.

Edited by Dave007

Heatherstella, I am happy you came back, I have missed having you around, ceasarsdad was just asking me about you the other day, if I ever hear from you....go figure!

Your Annabelle sounds like my Rikki! Very moody!!! Never know what to expect....

I agree w/Dave that a lot of things that are regarded as mental illness are physical abnormalities in brain function & chemistry. And I wonder just how much hormones contribute. But I think one form of mental instability that many types of pets can suffer from is depression.

I am fairly convinced that I lost one of my budgies because he became severely depressed after my landlord accidentally let my other budgie fly away. They were very bonded & it certainly looked like he just sat in a corner, barely ate & shut down until he died a couple of weeks later. It was very, very sad. It could of course have been a coincidence & I had no way to find out otherwise. But it certainly looked as if he died of a broken heart.

I also had a dog who pretty much did the same thing for about a year after one of my other dogs died. He barely interacted w/anything, moved & ate when he absolutely had to, but otherwise he'd just lay there. Fortunately, dogs are a lot less fragile than birds & eventually he rejoined the living. But it took an amazing long time for him to recover from that loss.

Both animals had a history of abuse. Both had formed an obvious attachment to the other animal. Neither was mated. In fact the birds were both male. And the dog was definitely in perfect health otherwise. So I can at least be sure that he was suffering from full blown depression.

That does make me wonder sometimes if there are other forms of mental illness that veterinary medicine doesn't recognize, yet. Which kind of makes sense since we're such a long way from fully understanding it in humans.

Edited by birdhouse

I have done a lot of research. My 10 year old son has been diagnosed with aspergers. He has a team now of therapist and have seen great improvement esp over the last four months. On my own I have introduced him to animal therapy such as horseback riding etc. While at a friends I found an uncanning calmness around their umbrella cockatoo. I went on a mission to find the perfect bird for him. Thru research I found the African grey was the perfect match. If you look side by side they actually have the same behavorial issues and positive feedback requirements. I haven't owned a bird for years but after looking for weeks for the perfect baby grey I found one hatched on his birthday and will be ready to come home right before Christmas. It was a sign. Although we don't have the new member of our family with us yet I know it is going to be great. This will not only be a loved family pet but also a therapy bird. I will let you know how it works out and the baby greys theraputic achievements. Although we haven't named him yet I'm leaning towards Dr Spock. My son has no idea yet but I know he's going to take care of his new friend just like he does his other pets.

• 3 weeks later...

Morgan definitely gets grouchy if I don't give him enough sleep. So I do see moods in him. I usually succeed in giving him at least 10 hours, but 12 hours is better. I can certainly imagine that an animal would have depression in the loss of a loved one, either animal or human. Have read too many stories about this type thing that has me convinced they do develop a dependence and maybe even love for their best buddy.

I wonder if they dream. If your bird isn't sleeping well, that could be something your not observing, but mood changing nonetheless. Not at all sure how you would treat a sleep disorder in an animal, unless something obvious is going on like lights left on, not covering the cage, too much noise, etc.

Mental illness (which they don't suffer from)...

That's a pretty strong assumption. Do you have proof?

If you agree that humans can suffer from mental illness, then why would you assume that parrots cannot?

Maybe, if you dig deep enough (if it is possible), you can find a cause for every mood. Humans or birds. Or maybe you can't...

Given your sig, perhaps you believe that humans don't suffer from mental illness either...

I believe any animal as well as people can suffer from mental illness. It is defined as--Any of various conditions characterized by impairment of an individual's normal cognitive, emotional, or behavioral functioning, and caused by social, psychological, biochemical, genetic, or other factors, such as infection or head trauma.