NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parakeet vs Grey.

Markus

Ok i know, its not the same bird. Currently mother has a 'keet. Pretty much she cleans it I entertain it lol. I know a grey and a keet are not at all the same kind of bird but I am wondering, since I want a grey, are there any similarities? I feel I am getting this keet pretty tame, but knowing i want a grey I am trying to keep in mind the grey is a different breed!

Don't be fooled! Budgies are actually extremely bright. While they may not seem so outwardly intelligent as a Grey, they certainly hold a candle where parrot intelligence is concerned.

What exactly are you looking for in a companion animal parrot?

• Haha 1

I agree with Eshana, they are intelligent, flighted, have speech ability in some cases, have the same requirements for correct diets for good health and love being with their human flock when socialized properly. You can learn some body language as well from those wee packages of BIG character. :)

My dad raised parakeets and I loved to watch them as a kid. A keet was my first bird and they can be taught to come to you and even talk some. I loved my little barking keet until the kids accidentally didn't close the front door quick enough and he went exploring never to return. Keets are so quick in flight!!!

I think one of the biggest mistakes we humans make is to compare bird species and not enjoy each species as their own.

I have had keets, tiels, doves, love birds an african grey and a amazon and each is special in their own way, and they are all smart. They each have their own rung on the ladder and I have to say that the grey is on the top rung. The rest are not far behind. Except for the doves they all talked. Not every bird talked, but at least one of each specie did talk.

I had one keet that talked up a storm and gess who taught it to talk. The cockatiel in the next cage. they both said all the same things