NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Weird New Behavior and Shyness?

ZephyrDarkwolf

Okay, this is just weird! Lately Oscar won't let me scritch his neck. Instead, he makes a funky cooing noise (like he does when he checks out mirrors) and reaches out with his beak like he wants to bite. He really mostly avoids my hand unless he has to step up on it. He's not like this with my fiance but he does notice that he's not as cuddly as he was when we first brought him home. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what the funky cooing sound might be . That would probably helpful in determining what he's trying to tell you. Can you tell anything from his body language?

Could he just be trying to mouth your hand? Birds explore things w/their beaks but many people confuse this w/trying to bite. When you pull away it often frustrates the bird & can become a problem because he knows you don't trust him. You said he generally avoids hands, but I'm wondering if he's getting comfortable enough to start acting more familiar.

Also, neck scritches aren't for every grey. They aren't for every parront. either. Sometimes a fid will only let certain people scritch them. & only when they're in the mood.

Thanks for responding birdhouse! He fluffs his head feathers up and his eyes pin when he does the cooing noise. We generally leave him alone when he doesn't want scratching...we don't push him at all. He did step up onto my hand from his cage for the first time today but won't let me pick him up from his perch. We just figure he gets in a mood! Also, he generally loves to be scratched! I can try and get a video of the behavior if it helps??

He fluffs his head feathers up and his eyes pin when he does the cooing noise.

Most people tend to associate that w/aggression. But they can do it when they're excited or nervous, too. It really will be helpful if you find as much material as you can on body language. It can be subtle & confusing at first. But it's the most helpful thing to learn about communicating w/your fid.

Another helpful thing is our mantra: TIME + PATIENCE = SUCCESS Also, easier said than done, of course. lol But it sounds like you're off to a greyt start by not pushing Oscar. Especially since he's still likely to be trying to settle in & make sense of all the changes that have happened to him.

Yes, video could be helpful & you'd get to show off Oscar's cuteness, too :)