NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The High Altitude Avian Extractor (H.A.A.E.)

Kaedyn

Life with a fully flighted 16 week old grey and vaulted ceilings can make for some challenging situations. Can you spot what doesn't belong on the chandelier in the first attached photo? Notice that smug, "You can't get me", look on his face"? That's why I created the High Altitude Avian Extractor, which you can see in subsequent photos. It sure beats keeping a ladder in the living room! Anyone have something similar they use?

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

That is just priceless. Here I have been wishing and wishing for Gilbert's feathers to regrow so he can fly some day. This post made me look up to see just how high he can go to get on upper window sills and the ceiling fan. Java used to go up there and I would just shoo her off with a broomstick. How much better to actually ask them to step up and come down on their own? LOL. I love your solution.

Ha Ha - Now that's funny (and clever!). We also have high ceilings and it is funny how strategic Brutus gets before bedtime. He is always within stroking distance during the day, but as the sun goes down he flies up high. Of course, I have to take out a ladder to get him down. He just HATES going to bed!

Eshana: It's actually really easy to make your own. It's just a few peices of PVC pipe from the hardware store, a 90 degree PVC elbow, two PVC end caps, and a roll of vet wrap for grip. The perch pipe is cut at about 9.5 inches and the long pipe is about 3 feet. Then each piece is just pressed together like Legos. After that, you wrap the perch pipe with a few loops of vet wrap and you're done. The hardest part is cutting the PVC to length. You can probably get your local hardware store to do that for you and save the cost of the cutters.