NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tumba passed away

roseepting

We have been on a 3 week vacation and our adult son was watching the house and pets for us. He had been checking Tumba's weight and giving him his anti-imflammatories and pain meds and said he was fine in the evening and gone the next morning. Tumba had stopped talking about 6 months ago after 20yrs and the vet felt there was a malignant tumor that showed in the xrays under bones in his neck. The biopsy was inconclusive but it was there and growing. My poor son felt so bad though it had nothing to do with his care. We knew it could happen at any time and were keeping him comfortable as long as we could. I feel badly that our trip which was planned a year ago kept us from being with him until the end.

My husband wants to get another grey, but we certainly don't want a young one since we are in our early 60's. I'm not sure I even want another grey at least not for awhile. Tumba was such a talker and such a big part of the family, I think I would always make comparisons. Do any of you know if the forum ever has birds that are older and looking for new homes? Maybe someday....

Tumba as very loved and cared for with such love and is now healthy, talking and flying high like a youngster once again. He was so lucky to have such loving parronts and you so lucky to have such a magnificent grey to remember. I hope you find that older grey that needs you. Perhaps there is a bird rescue place in your area as there are so many abandoned parrots out there who need caring parronts.

On the board here we rarely have people who are looking to sell or give away their greys and that includes older birds. If by chance there is a person here that wants to do that, it usually has to do with allergies or not being able to take care of the bird on a daily basis..

Your best bets are contacting vets who may know of people who want to do that. Many times, there's ads posted in the vet's office concerning the parrots.

The other thing to do is to seek out adoption/rescue centers that have birds for sale. In those places about 95% of the birds are older and have come from other homes. The price of these birds is usually 1/2 of what they would normally sell for. As far as comparisons, that's not a good idea because all parrots have individual personalities.

Some people would say to check out Craigslist but that's a bad idea. They have a bad reputation concerning the quality of the birds. You may need to travel a bit to find these adoption centers but it may be worth the trouble to do that.

This also applies to most other parrot boards.

I am so sorry for your loss. I currently have a sick bird with possible cancer or upper GI irritation and am leaving for a vacation soon. I am scared to death to leave Gracie (although she is looking better lately). We have had this vacation planned for a long time too. My mom cares for my pets while we are away so I sure hope nothing bad happens. I hope you do find a Grey that needs your love. They are so wonderful and just as much a member of the family as human family members. Sometimes even more so.

So sorry to hear this Rose, I understand the emptiness you are feeling. Tumba was so lucky to have such a wonderful life with you & your family. I do hope you will be able to some day take in a grey that needs a home, they are such wonderful companions.

I am so sorry for your loss. Your son has a caring heart and is commended for the closeness he could have with Tumba to look after him in your absence. When you have grieved Tumba, you will know when the time is right for another grey in your life. I also thought I would unfairly compare a "replacement" bird to another we lost. That didn't happen. We rehomed an older bird and while we have had some adjustments, I don't think of Gilbert in any other terms except his own definitions. My husband and I are in our 50s and thought similarly that we shouldn't make a half century or longer commitment, but there is no looking back once we brought Gilbert home. We just don't have any guarantees and we made a place for each other in our lives today and have our daughters committed to taking over for us if necessary. Dave is right about seeking out rescues and rehoming though. It was a stroke of timing and luck for us to be long term members on this forum coinciding with a medical necessity to rehome an older bird. Every day I am thankful that I took a deep breath and jumped in again to love the bird I brought into my life for another go.