NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to Greys!

Hi everyone! I'm Zephyr and I'm a brand new grey owner! I'd owned cockatiels when I was a kid and had to rehome them when I moved to college. I was very sad and always missed them! Flash forward seven years to when I went to Pet Supplies plus for dog food. I'd been thinking about getting a parrot and there he was--an adorable timneh sitting in his cage looking for an owner! I asked about him and they said he was being held for a family to decide whether or not to get him. I left and went back a week later and he was still there. I brought my fiancee to meet him to make sure he liked the birdie (and vice versa) and we bought him! He's one year old, is just starting to talk, is healthy and has been with us for about two weeks. He has an issue with biting his feathers and is a bit cage aggressive...

So- first off, any tips and tricks you have to give would be helpful! I've gotten several books and have been studying up on feeding, behaviors, training, toys, etc. Secondly, I've found that I'm a bit gun shy when it comes to his beak. He's a lot bigger than a cockatiel and he's already bit me a couple times. I haven't responded to the bites and set him for a time out for a few minutes to make sure he knows its not nice to bite. But I can't help but be a bit nervous about being bitten again!

Anyways, thanks everyone! Its nice to be a part of this forum to learn more about my new little baby!

Hi ZephyrDarkwolf and welcome to the grey forum.

First you need to give him some time to settle in and get to know you and your fiancee, don`t rush him/her. This is a new home and he/she needs some adjustment time.

We also love pictures and do you have a name. boy / girl.

Hi Zephyr welcome to the Grey family! You need to give your new friend some time to settle in and not rush him into anything. Let him come to you and set the pace. Your grey is quite handsome and I look forward to hearing more about him. What is your new friend's name?

Thanks everyone! His name is Oscar and he was born August 13th, 2010. He's normally very sweet and loves his little head scritched! He's definately settling in well- he's used to the entire house and loves playing with his yucca wood toys and watching tv. He's very sweet and we're so happy that he came into our lives. He whistles for us when we leave the room and gets really excited to see my fiancee when he comes home from work (I'm home all day). Any suggestions on how to really bond with him better? Or is it just a slow process that happens?

Hello, congratz on ur new grey :)

ive had my coco for just over a month now, & he is 19 weeks old...

when i 1st brought him home, he used to strike out at me & bite & squawk when i touched him & jus didnt like anyone at all...

but now he is a diffrant bird..... he wants to be with me all the time, flying onto me every chance he gets, bowing his head for scritches,

& steps up on command lovely every time.... he is trying to talk aswell.. he loves me & only me, wont let anyone else near him.....

You just need to spend lots of time talking to your bird, tell him the things you are doing, involve him in ur daily routine.....

act happy & chirpy around him, the bond will come in time, u will see it progress, gradually he will let you do more with him as he learns to trust you more...

I never thought coco was going to like me, now im so happy with my birdy friend, we want to b together all the time hahaha ;)

Congrats on starting your grey family and thanks for joining us Zephyr. Our timneh is a bit older and he does bite his feathers when he is stressed and scared. As you are reading and learning, you will start to understand his body language and have less opportunities for nips. I am still a little apprehensive about getting bitten myself and we have had Gilbert a little more than six months. I put a short rope perch in an arc on the door of his cage and he gets on it when he wants to come out. He was just inviting me into his cage, then took a swipe at me when I got close so it is always a learning process. With the perch on the door though, I have it low enough for his head to clear when I open or close the door. Once he is out he generally will let me scratch his head and will usually step up when I ask. I've learned that when I ask for a step up and he lowers his head for a scratch, that usually means he is luring me in close enough to give me a bite, LOL. He is a tricky little character. Time will tell and you will learn more about Oscar and it does get better, I promise. Oscar is a beauty, thanks for sharing your time with us.