NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hello from california / need lil help....

hello everyone !!!!!!!!!!! Im Shawn frm ca

Just got few questions for the forum members..

Just bought a 4 month old african grey from a pet shop here local... the feathers are clipped so..

and i dont know if its male or female ... Is there a way i can find out ?

and it likes to stay out from his/her cage why is that ?

he does comes to me but starts screaming or crying when im trying to touch him

and it will alwayz climb on my shoulder for some reason doesnt stay on my finger or hands everytime im holding him

thnx everyone...

Male or female----the guaranteed way to find out is by having a DNA test which is done at a vet's office or a tiny bit of blood can be sent to a special labratory that does the testing and you receive a certificate of the sex. Since you're new with birds I would go with vet.

Almost all parrots like to come out of the cage frequently and they like to stay out for a while. Thinking that a parrot should be in a cage all the time only creates a cage bound bird which isn't good. You need to watch out when he tries to fly. The wings being clipped means he may land straight down on the floor. Let the wings grow out. That makes for a more confident bird.

Many birds feel very comfortable on people's shoulders. That's not unusual. But that day will come that if you start to see your bird biting at the face, neck, jewelry, clothing, hair, the bird should not be allowed to be a *shoulder bird* anymore. It happens with some birds and doesn't happen with others.

He'll need more time to adjust to your hands when you're trying to touch him. He's new in your home and there's many things he has to get used to before he becomes confident about being touched. He's still a baby and you need to let him go at his own pace.

ohh thanx for the info.. dave

but while his on my shoulders he does mess with my ears lol..

but that dont really matters to me bout it being a male o female..

i didnt clipped the wings.. it was previously done by the pet shop...

and yes he does fly and land on the floor which i know isnt good...

how long does it take for the feathers to grow back ?

Glad to help. My conures tend to fall to the floor with their clipped wings, I try and give them a soft place to land by putting towels and such around their cage to prevent them from hurting themselves. If your grey falls often I would suggest doing something similar. By the way, welcome to the forums! I would love to see some pictures of your grey.

dhillon just slow down & take it easy -these wonderful birds need you to earn their trust by not rushing them. Allow this baby to choose if it wants to come to you or not. Go slowly and show him that you are safe to be with, some birds feel safer when up high that is most likely why your shoulder is attractive. There have been big changes in his surroundings, people and schedule so give this baby a chance to settle in and feel safe before you in your joy and enthusiasm insist on lots of interaction and handeling. Take a deep breath and practice patience and that will pay off with a trusting Grey who knows he is safe.

Awww, I just love the baby pictures. He looks soooo sweet and innocent. When you bring home a baby there seems to be so much to learn all at once. I guess it is the same for them when they go to a new home. Even though the gender didn't make a big difference to me, it does to the vet because females might have egg laying issues as they mature that might make a difference in how she is fed or how the amount of daylight time is managed. I like that you are letting your little one have some space to explore and be with you and learn that you are safe while he adjusts to a new environment. Thanks for all the pictures, you have a gorgeous baby.