NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Shoulders

fidsandfrats

How many of you allow your amazons on your shoulder? Am I setting myself up for injury when Chili reaches maturity? I've been training him in recall training and he has done excellent except that now he flies to me whenever he wants which I am not crazy about (trying not to reward him when he does this). However if I allow him on my shoulder when I want him there what is the harm?

I don't personally own an amazon, but from what I've read I don't figure it'd be any different then allowing any other similar species on your shoulder. Depends on the individual bird and sometimes their moods. As long as Chili remains gentle about it I don't see why it should be a problem and if that ever changes I would simply not allow him to do it anymore.

You can let a bird on your shoulder if it steps on and off at your command, and is behaved there. Don't let your bird just run up your arm to your shoulder. And don't let your bird on your shoulder around strangers or things that can be frightening, sometimes they will bite you to warn you of impending danger!

Personally, I don't have an amazon, but I have a grey who is not allowed on my shoulder. I tried it a couple times and she went right for my earrings, so it's off limits now.

Abbie21187 is right, if your zon is good, why not. My TAG use to nip my ears so I would not let her on my shoulder. I would flick her off and say "No, bites". Well she learned not to bite and is regularly allowed on my shoulder now. My CAG is also allowed as he is not a nipper. If my zon wanted on my shoulder he would be welcome also if there are not BITES!

My Amazon & 2 greys are allowed onto my shoulder. IF they do anything such as a nip, they are sternly told NO BITES or stop that. If they continue the unwanted behavior, they are sent off. They behave themselves 99% of the time. My amazon behaves 100% of the time...:) She is now 21/2 years old, had her for 2 years.

My grey Corkey and my amazon Cricket along with my two cockatiels are allowed on are shoulders.

This is something between you and your bird and as long as there are rules and every one follows them I see no harm.

There must be respect for each other, you and your bird and a good relationship between the two of you along with knowing what is allowed and what is not allowed.

This goes both ways. You should know what you should and should not do when your friend is on your shoulder.

My birds love to sit on my shoulder and watch me on the computer typing my post for the forum or reading the many post by other members and I love haveing then there it`s a special time for us.