NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Shadow's Journey continues

CLB

Shadow has been here for a whole month now and she seems to have settled right in. She brings a whole new perspective to daily life. Shortly after her first anxiety ridden flight through the house, Shadow decided it was time to meet the family. While she was standing on her new perch on the outside of her cage, my husband walked up to her and extended his arm....and she STEPPED RIGHT UP! She then stepped-up to my oldest son and to me and continued to make her rounds. We were so amazed. I am so very happy that she is comfortable here. I am also a bit saddened that she has actually fallen in love with my darling hubby! Although she tolerates me, she adores him and eagerly rubs her head on him and allows him to pet her. The affection she sows him is very different from any she shows me...wait, she doesn't actually show me any affection. Like I said, she tolerates me. Apparently she knew whom she needed to pursuade....my DH wasn't sure a parrot was going to be a good idea. I am convinced that he thinks much differently now.

I can relate to your story in some ways...I just re-homed a 3 year old CAG! He has been a really nice boy and I have been enjoying him very much, the hubby on the other hand wasn't so sure about parrots, but is doing well considering we were supposed to only get one, a baby, and now, we have Shyloh so that makes 2 and a very tolerant husband as well!

As I am getting the grey mainly for myself this is one thing I'm a bit worried about. Hoping that he/she will bond more with me and not my wife who already has so many pets of her own. But it will be what it will be only time will tell. I was thinking about trying to get a female I've read they are more apt to bond with a man then a woman although I don't know how true that is.

I dunno either, my Tag female is bonded to me and generally prefers females. Also after reading Alex & Me, I found it interesting that Alex preferred tall men with long hair! At one point she had a tall male student working in her lab and they couldn't get anything done because Alex was so infatuated with him.

Every bird is different, so just try to socialize your Grey to as many people as possible when young.

My TAG is female and so am I. She is totally bonded to me. She does like my two grandson, one is 22 and one is 11. She flies to them and loves to sit on their shoulders. My daughter, my TAG will tolerate, if she has piistachios! My CAG is young and male and he loves everyone once I let him know they are all right! So I don't believe it matters as long as you grey is socialized well.

Edited by luvparrots

Shadow was hatched and raised by a woman so we were quite confident that she would be happy to bond with me. So far, she has made it very clear that she prefers the men in this house and I can't really blame her..... am quite fond of them too. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been about 6 weeks since her arrival and Shadow continues her love affair with my husband. He can pretty much do whatever he wants with her, petting, step-ups on command, showering, you name it he can do it. No bites! I am simply allowed to feed her and clean up after her unless of course she flies off an lands on the floor, then I am an acceptable mode of transport to a more comfortable location. Luckily, she is very endearing and continues to share her vocabulary and make me laugh. As she has come face to face with our managerie of pets, she has addressed each one.......one of the cats confronted her from the side of her cage and she immediately ran to greet him "MEEOW". Then, as she became brave enough to hang from the bottom of her cage she was greeted by my tiny dogs and her response was a happy-go-lucky "Hello". Shadow is always happy to spend her mornings helping with morning chores and sharing our breakfast. As of today, I am transitioning her to an organic pelleted diet (she was formerly eating the Zupreem Fruity bits) along with fruits and veggies. She is a great eater and rarely refuses food so I am hoping for an easy transition. Stay tuned for more as Shadow continues her journey.

Shadow and I have come to an agreement. After a series of unfortunate events, (that I feared would turn out badly), I ended up with several bites to my hand....luckily no blood, this time. :( I promised to give Shadow as much space as she needed. No pressure at all. My DH continues to enjoy her affection and we all hang out with no problem. Well, here we are a week later and Shadow actually lowered her head and bumped my hand for a scratch! NO bites! This is a first as she is a master at the sucker punch so I don't ever respond to her requests. But this time seemed different as she rubbed against me, actually encouraging the head rub. She has also let me "extract" her from her favorite cabinet without incident. Maybe we are making progress?? After reading the entire thread regarding the Bite Me Club, I realize how lucky I am that Shadow tolerates me and my relationship with her is better than I thought. Thanks to all who have posted there. The stories and responses were a big help in my learning what to expect and how to respond!

Your relationship w/Shadow will always be a work in progress. Just when you think you've learned the rules, they'll change. It's a grey thing. They insist on being in control.

But you are doing a super job w/her!! You aren't pushing or taking it personally. You are continuing to learn by observation & reading & you are definitely making progress. Way to go!!