NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Apple seeds

CeeCeeNY

It's apple season here in the northeast and I love being able to buy from local orchards! My CAG goes cuckoo for fresh apple juice and cider but when it comes to the actual apple, all he does each & every time is buzz through to the core and eat the seeds only! So obviously I don't bother wasting it anymore by giving him a whole, half or even a slice of apple, I just enjoy it myself & toss him the core! Anyone else experience this w/ their Grey?

This is one of those really, really controversial areas. Many, maybe most people feel strongly that we should never give our fids particularly apple seeds because they're poisonous

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/09/12/yes-apple-seeds-and-cherry-pits-are-poisonous.htm

Other people don't agree because there's no one to stop them from eating them in the wild. So, it's the parront's choice to make a well informed decision, here.

I also have heard that they are not good, and then, that they can be ok in small amounts. I don't think I would risk it. But seems like you have had no problems with them so far. When I eat an apple, I will let mine take bites, or I cut small pieces off for him. I have never offered a core.

I don't go out of my way to feed him apple seeds, just noticing that he seems to feel the only worthy part of the apple is the seeds! I've managed to stay alive for almost 40 years and I've yet to find evidence of a person or animals who has been "poisoned" by apple seeds, or any other seed for that matter. I was also raised watching farm animals and wild animals gorge themselves on whole fruit... pigs, horses & deer in apple orchards, birds stripping cherry and apricot trees so I'm not convinced that consuming your fill of them means instant death. JMO

As posted before yes apple seeds contain a small amount of cyanide so I would suggest limiting the amount he consumes I never said to avoid completely but safety is important especially with birds as they can succumb to many toxins that do not affect our other close animal friends so adversely. Birds as prey rather than predator often hide any symptoms of poor health until it is too late so just use caution and remember Apple Trees are not part of the African Flora & Fauna. Good to have you here CeeCee and it is always a good idea to do your research and ask questions we are all learning from each others experiences.

****Other people don't agree because there's no one to stop them from eating them in the wild. So, it's the parront's choice to make a well informed decision, here.****

Well, simply put, they don't eat apples in the wild where they come from. There are no apples in their natural area to eat.

Gotcha Capo but there is no rule in the porcine community (wild or domesticated) that states "Only pigs over 500lbs may raid orchards!" I've yet to see a sow make her piglets sit on the sidelines while she alone gloms the fallen fruit. And you stating "One apple seed can do much more harm to parrot then 20 apples to pig" is simply your opinion but miles away from a fact. I appreciate everyone's input here, thank you!

I was also raised watching farm animals and wild animals gorge themselves on whole fruit... pigs, horses & deer in apple orchards, birds stripping cherry and apricot trees so I'm not convinced that consuming your fill of them means instant death. JMO

Our fids are far from wild birds. There's little or nothing in their totally artificial environment that they'd normally encounter in the wild. The only food they see is completely controlled so they aren't raised to forage safely. They're deliberately conditioned from birth that any food within reach is good eating.

I initially made an honest effort to present the facts as neutrally as possible because I didn't want to freak anyone out. One fact happens to be that apples have proven to be to be a very adaptable crop & many countries where they aren't native (like the US) now include them as a staple food crop. This includes parts of Africa where cultivation has spread to some of the countries native to Grey's.

The native wildlife has of course learned to take advantage of this foreign food source. This is one example of parrots, specifically, from a thread on Wikipedia about 'toos

"... The Long-billed Black Cockatoo, also endemic to the south-west of Western Australia, can be a pest in apple and pear orchards where it destroys the fruit to extract the seeds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatoo

So the fact is there are examples in the wild of parrots eating fruit seeds which contain cyanide. But I've never found any facts, conclusive or otherwise that prove what quantity of these seeds may or may not be safe or for what species.

When I was a kid, I learned to count to 20 in our little apple orchard. I loved to watch the birds eat, too. But as us farm girls know, those birdies were pooping little seedlings wherever they went. So, they weren't actually digesting much more than the fruit. When's the last time you saw a parrot poop w/a seed intact?

I don't choose to feed any of my fids apple or other fruit seeds which contain cyanide since they have no nutritional value which can't be gotten elsewhere. I'm not at all comfortable knowing that the only way to find a fid's current tolerance is to exceed it, i.e. poison them. I'm even more uncomfortable knowing that tolerance might easily change when other factors, like health & metabolism, come into play. I'm just not willing to risk the possible consequences because I just don't see any upside. JMO

I don't think Mr. Asaah would agree.

http://www.worldagroforestry.org/downloads/publications/PDFs/B16554.PDF

THE FRUITS OF SUCCESS pg 14

Ok, so sorry for giving out wrong information but I will say that I find it amazing that people actually spend loads of time thinking about the oddest things ( human foods included)to give a grey or other parrot, especially since parrots are scavengers. I only say no apples because it's a known fact that the seeds aren't good for birds. Better safe than sorry. If a person wants to feed apples, so be it. I didn't invent that fact. If the subject was about cherries then I would have to say that the pits are toxic but I didn't invent that fact either but it's true. I will say that the healthiest greys and other parrots are the ones in the wild that eat natural and scavenged items. ---These iterms can't be purchased. Besides other things, they will eat other animals" feces and birds' feces because it has nutritional value. I didn't invent that fact either. All wild birds do that.

SO, because it's not sold on the market yet, I'm in the process of concocting a specially balanced parrot diet which will contain about 75% feces. It'll be multicolored and no refridgeration will be neccessary. Special mixtures and blends will also be available. These blends are for the Discriminating Grey

I'll announce the approx date when they will go on sale. I 'm still awaiting the patent.

For the new customers, it'll be ------Buy 2 get, 1 Free.

Online orders can be paid through Paypal.

The name of the product will be called Organic Splatters

To people in this thread who are gonna say that they're frustrated because their cute fussy grey simply bypases the actual fruit to get to the seeds, do yourself a favor. Just cut off a slice of apple and give it to him/her. Stay away from the seeds. It's much better than trying to argue about the validity and value of seeds, especially since he's gonna shit them out. If your bird doesn't like that slice, don't feed it to him again.

Get some of my special blend mixture-----all problems will be solved

Edited by Dave007

Ok, so sorry for giving out wrong information... SO, because it's not sold on the market yet, I'm in the process of concocting a specially balanced parrot diet which will contain about 75% feces. ... Special mixtures and blends will also be available. These blends are for the Discriminating Grey I'll announce the approx date when they will go on sale. I 'm still awaiting the patent. For the new customers, it'll be ------Buy 2 get, 1 Free. The name of the product will be called Organic Splatters

...Get some of my special blend mixture-----all problems will be solved

Well crap, Dave! Who can expect you to keep up w/everything current in the world of agriculture, when you're so busy thinking up new innovations for our fids?

Good luck w/your new product line, btw. I will have to get back about your very tempting promotion, though. lol

Well crap, Dave! Who can expect you to keep up w/everything current in the world of agriculture, when you're so busy thinking up new innovations for our fids?

Good luck w/your new product line, btw. I will have to get back about your very tempting promotion, though. lol

***tempting promotion***

Patience, patience. High quality secret ingreidents need to be formulated to form a proper consistancy.You're the first one to respond?? Well as a special gift for you it's 1 bag, get 2 free.

It's apple season here in the northeast and I love being able to buy from local orchards! My CAG goes cuckoo for fresh apple juice and cider but when it comes to the actual apple, all he does each & every time is buzz through to the core and eat the seeds only! So obviously I don't bother wasting it anymore by giving him a whole, half or even a slice of apple, I just enjoy it myself & toss him the core! Anyone else experience this w/ their Grey?

Apple seeds contain small amounts of cyanide.....do not feed. This is what I have heard. I would simply err on the safe side.

• 1 month later...

errrr, what product line? PM me with details.