NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is lysol safe?

Markus

I don't have a grey yet, but i tend to use lysol to disinfect daily used items of the house (not quite ocd but i believe in germ control lol) . I understand I should never spray it near the bird and I wouldnt. I am just wondering how bad if, at all, it would be for the bird if used in the same room?

Depending on how much is used in the room and if the windows are closed the vapors could be unhealthy for your grey. Most all of us here use vinegar water or diluted bleach for cleaning purposes. They both kill germs and are not harmful to you grey in the correct diluted amount.

I seriously think we, as a country, are way too germ phobic. Good old soap and water (maybe not on the computer keyboard) studies show is just as successful at removing bacteria and germs from surfaces as any nuclear, potentially toxic cleaning product out there. Because grey's lungs are so efficient I think it is a good idea to stay away from ANY aerosol. Your primary defense against getting sick is your own immune system. If you are in good health, chances are good that your immune system

will destroy any invading organisms. The best thing you can do to avoid getting sick is to wash your hands often with soap and water and avoid touching your face.

I seriously think we, as a country, are way too germ phobic. Good old soap and water (maybe not on the computer keyboard) studies show is just as successful at removing bacteria and germs from surfaces as any nuclear, potentially toxic cleaning product out there. Because grey's lungs are so efficient I think it is a good idea to stay away from ANY aerosol. Your primary defense against getting sick is your own immune system. If you are in good health, chances are good that your immune system

will destroy any invading organisms. The best thing you can do to avoid getting sick is to wash your hands often with soap and water and avoid touching your face.

Yes I Agree lol. But when i do get sick (like now) i just try not to spread it around.Like you said washing hands is best , but sometimes a little extra is needed . :)

Personally, if I feel that things around the house might be extra 'germy' I often put some apple cider vinegar full strength in a spray bottle and spritz it around. ACV kills germs when it's used as a diluted solution in the bathroom, kitchen, etc. so I figure it probably helps when it's dispersed into the air occasionally. At the very least, it makes the house smell fresh :) and best of all it's not harmful to our boys. I use it (vinegar) and baking soda for all of my general cleaning purposes, as well as some Dr. Bronner's liquid soap.

Again i say this is good to know lol. Working in a grocery warehouse i get a discount on many things including vinegar. And veggies!

For the most part I had only seen vinegar used for washing windows, with a newspaper of course, but that was with my great aunt lol. And she is still doing it! Them older folks know whats up lol.

lol another old vinegar & water fan, here. I think household cleaning products often sacrifice the environment & people's safety for convenience & pretty scents.

However, I can't honestly say that I'd want to find myself at a doctor's office where I knew everything was cleaned w/vinegar only. I'm just not quite that convinced.

So, when I'm after the really nasty germs, I will up the anti. There are some things that I use bleach water on, usually in the bathroom. When someone's sick, I will also go over things like my keyboard & phone w/plain old alcohol. And periodically, I steam clean anything that can handle it.

I also have to be very careful about keeping things germ-free, not just for Dorian, but to protect my dad's health. First rule in this house is when you've been outside in the big bad world the first thing you do when you walk in the door is to wash your hands. Also, I have to say I Love Love Love my Shark Steamer for getting cages and playstands clean. The only downside is while you're busy cleaning one parrot hang-out, your bird is on another one messing it up! I also use the vinegar and water solution. On a surface like a computer keyboard, I'll use a Lysol wipe, but I always follow up with a cloth dampened with only water to make sure any toxins from the disinfectants are gone.