NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Phobic Grey after being chased

limingatl

Hi,

I have a 1.5 year old male CAG. He fell off the perch the other day and I 'chased' him around trying to pick him up.

I didn't know this was a nono at the time. Anyway, he is terrified of me now but he is still okay with my mom.

This happened a couple of days ago and he seems to be slightly less skittish when my mom picks him up and puts him on me. But he is still very scared when she isn't around and frequently flaps onto the ground, afterwhich I cannot get him up on my own.

Any advice?

Just time and patience, along with a soothing voice, perhaps a favorite treat (If he will take it from you) and lots of love will bring the relationship back around. It will probably be a while before you will be able to coax him back up on your own. It would be better to avoid such a situation by either leaving him in his cage until your mother is home or have her pick him if she is home when he flaps down to the floor.

Also, welcome!!! Why don't you introduce yourself when you get a chance? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I read in Marry Sue athan's book, that grey has a nature that perceived what is coming from above as predator, in your case you put an additional tense by chasing him arround.

I agree with what Danmcq said. Seem to me this is resetting the relationship from the beginning, a gentle approach, I think, will fix the relationship. Be patient... be positive.