NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Concrete perches versus ...

Doug

It seems that concrete perches are recommended for keeping beaks and claws trimmed. (For the beak, I would assume that it would be the perch nearest the food bowl, for wiping...)

It looks like there was big hatred towards the dowel perches with sand-paper tubes. I can see that...

But what about the various perches that vary in shape and diameter and are dipped in sand (and some sort of glue, of course)? What about the so-called pumice perches (I assume it is the same thing - dipped in a ground pumice with some sort of glue)?

What products are recommended?

I am concerned because I am hesitant about trimming Ellie's claws but her toe-tips are held up from the surface when she is flat-footed (which the grey books that I have say is a no-no...)

I just bought a couple of those sandy perches that are smooth on the upper side and sandy rough on the sides where the talons would be, they are supposed to be better for their feet for some of those rough perches can be hard to perch on for any length of time, cement ones can be irritating to their feet if used for long periods of time.

The best set up is using a variety of perching surfaces and diameters for healthy strong feet. We have a cement type perch in front of the food dish but also have Boings, branches from Crepe Myrtle Trees in order to provide different size perches. You can also use flat perches and soft perches where they sleep. As to the nails and beak most of the nails do well with the one cement perch but I can occasionally use a file on most of the flock if needed. They get so many cardboard boxes and branches to strip the bark off the beaks seem to stay in good shape from use alone.

I understand the need for a variety of perches. I have the dowel that came with the cage, a coiled rope perch, a natural wood perch (with various diameter branches) made from my hibiscus bush, and 1/2" & 3/4" PVC (wrapped in vet wrap and jute). (She sleeps on the rope perch.)

I agree that a variety of perches is best.

Beau used to sleep on a cement perch but I've been worried about how cold his feet feel in the winter and felt the cement perch was part of the problem so I changed it, within weeks Beau's nails were catching in everything so I put it back whilst searching for a suitable alternative - I found this: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.24parrot.com%2FSandy-Perch--Nail-Trimming-and-Conditioning-Perch--Large-P4370%2F&h=tAQAwGiB-AQBUMtEXb_CrkZJN9RRpQfgk2akEODK0_jq3Fw

I remember thinking it was expensive but bought it anyway, when it arrived it was a lot bigger than I expected and very bright in colour and I thought to myself "he is going to be so afraid of this" and he was. I left it on the table outside his cage where he could see it for several days before putting it in his cage. He wouldn't sit on it for a few days but now he is sleeping on it just like the old cement one and it seems to be keeping his nails trimmed - so much better than nasty vet visits lol, kinder to feet too.

I agree that a variety of perches is best.

Beau used to sleep on a cement perch but I've been worried about how cold his feet feel in the winter and felt the cement perch was part of the problem so I changed it, within weeks Beau's nails were catching in everything so I put it back whilst searching for a suitable alternative - I found this: http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.24parrot.com%2FSandy-Perch--Nail-Trimming-and-Conditioning-Perch--Large-P4370%2F&h=tAQAwGiB-AQBUMtEXb_CrkZJN9RRpQfgk2akEODK0_jq3Fw

I remember thinking it was expensive but bought it anyway, when it arrived it was a lot bigger than I expected and very bright in colour and I thought to myself "he is going to be so afraid of this" and he was. I left it on the table outside his cage where he could see it for several days before putting it in his cage. He wouldn't sit on it for a few days but now he is sleeping on it just like the old cement one and it seems to be keeping his nails trimmed - so much better than nasty vet visits lol, kinder to feet too.

For those not facebook inclined (a dwindling number?), here's the link without the intermediate facebook step: http://www.24parrot.com/Sandy-Perch--Nail-Trimming-and-Conditioning-Perch--Large-P4370/

I am really confused. So many people have complained about how the old type of sandpaper-tubes-slipped-over-a-dowel perches were bad because the bits of sand irritated the bird's feet. But the Sandy Perches get a lot of acclaim and they have the same deal with the grit underfoot.

Can someone please explain the difference?

BTW, looks great where you are!

Manzanillo, Mexico.

That was a business trip. Doing some work poolside between a customer meeting and a dinner with said customer.

I don't have a lot of time on my business trips to play tourist (for example, on my current 12 day trip to Brazil & Chile, I have traveled (will travel) by car and/or plane ever day except today. And today I have to work on a proposal. Sigh. Sometimes I have a free day to explore...

Luckily my wife has a home office (contract project manager) so I don't have to worry about Ellie being alone very often...

It is just a guess on my part but the grit covered paper rolls that covered the straight perch used all sorts of sand and the chips were different sizes etc. I do have a couple of these sandy perches and it is uniform and painted. I use a variety of perches and look at the bottoms of our little birdie feet to keep an eye out for redness or abrasions. I have seen them from time to time and will pull out a perch if it seems to be the culprit. Sometimes it has as much to do with the shape of the perch as the abrasive coating. The kind that seems to work best in our cages is kind of twisted looking. Then it is wider and narrower along the length so each bird can find the spot that is most comfortable at any given time. Some people have good luck training their birds to allow them to use a regular emery board to just file back the needle sharp tip and get along just fine with no nail care perches. It has been trial and error with our parrots and what works for a while may not work all the time.