NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New cage questions

bmatrow

Been trying to decide on the cage I should buy for my future CAG. I know everyone says bigger is better so I've been trying to pick between a large play-top cage or a freaking monstrosity of a corner cage. Ive been kinda leaning toward the play-top but I don't want to rob my bird of the extra space. He/she will likely spend my working hours in the cage and anytime I'm home will be out. What would you suggest?

Also I'm sure that I read a 3/4 bar spacing but have also read that 1 is OK for a congo?

Want to start getting the cage, toys, dishes ect. ready now. Although it will probly be about 5 months before I get my CAG.

Always a hard question... but a fun one :) I keep thinking I'd like a corner cage, if only I had a corner to put it in... Which is a problem w/them. Their design limits where they work. But, octagonal cages can kind of be the best of both worlds there.

I'm not big on play tops for a lot of reasons. First & most important, Phenix seriously freaks at having anything over his head like that. Doesn't matter if it's the perch or the tray.

I like the dome tops because I have limited space & they tend to have more room inside. I like open dome tops because the fids can come & go w/o my having to maneuver around the open door & the dog doesn't get to put her big ole head inside. I particularly like having the dome tops w/the drop down top door because there's no need to worry about how I arrange anything that hangs from the top.

Besides the space & cost, it really all comes down to personal preference I think. So, enjoy the search. Will be looking forward to the pics, once you do decide ;)

I have a Kings Cage for my TAG. I couldn't decide either at first. I finally chose the arch top aluminum. I am very happy with the extra space and so is Zoe. Also I got a Java tree stand for her to play on when she's out.

That was my solution as well. I have a seperate play gym and the King's dome top. I really like the light weight of the aluminum.

My advice is for the price you are paying, you could get a much bigger (22) isn't very big, yes 48 and 66 is, but its mostly height, and they will never use the bottom. Tall legs and width are better for a grey. My Experience with my 3 birds and 3 cages each later, they wont use the bottom half, they preferred the width and top. Just my opinion.

Yea I've noticed that on my conures cage (that I want to replace as well). Maybe something more like this.

http://www.birdcages.com/bird-cages/large-bird-cages/cornerparrotcageblack.cfm

I really seem to like the corner cages. This one doesn't have the wasted space at the bottom AND it has a perch and bowls on top! Plus it's a hundred bucks cheaper to boot. Although something with an open top could be nice too!

Edited by bmatrow
typo