NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot species and baths.. conure versus grey...

danmcq

Just thought I would show the difference between a bird that truly loves and looks forward to bath time, versus one species that does not.

Parrots from the South America's such as conures, amazons and macaws all love baths, which equal a good rain shower they enjoy many days out of the year. On the other hand, parrots from Africa really dislike water and I have yet to see any photos or video of wild greys splashing in a pool of water or out enjoy a rain shower.

Jake our Conure loves baths and gets pissed if I do not shower him for at least 20 minutes.

Once in a blue moon, my grey Dayo actually wants to take a quick bath in a large pan. He does of course always get drenched by me with water followed by a last finishing spray down with aloe juice. Dayo just sits and waits for the shower process to get over with...

Dayo in his pie pan when he was a wee lad...He still does this but in a larger pan...

The good thing about summertime, is the cages get a quick cleaning during this shower process and sterlizing via UV components of the good old sunshine. The birds of course, get tons of UVB.

Great bathing demonstrations from Dayo and Jake. It is true my BF Amazon loves the water, he opens his feathers and extends his wings and struts his stuff all the time a shower is going on. He hangs upside down and shows his beautiful feathers. It is certainly a beautiful sight to see as he enjoys being totally soaked. Now Ana Grey, my Tag, is not quite so receptive but she will open her feathers and get a truly wet soaking without too much fuss. Sterling the Cag does like the water and opens his feathers and comes up to the front of the cage for a total soaking. He even opens his beak to let the mist and aloe vera in. I totally soak my little flock at least once a week so perhaps that is why my greys love the water. I was going to video their last bath a day ago but my battery needed charging. Perhaps I will get another opportunity to record them before the weather gets too bad. I do know I have posted a video a while back of Ana Grey enjoying a real soak. My birdies like being soaked so much I have sent off for a Two-Lite Hand Mister with a locking mechanism for continuous spraying so my hand/fingers don't get tired trying to soak three parrots! Can't wait for it to get here!

Sterling the Cag does like the water and opens his feathers and comes up to the front of the cage for a total soaking. He even opens his beak to let the mist and aloe vera in. I totally soak my little flock at least once a week so perhaps that is why my greys love the water. I was going to video their last bath a day ago but my battery needed charging. Perhaps I will get another opportunity to record them before the weather gets too bad. I do know I have posted a video a while back of Ana Grey enjoying a real soak.

I must have missed that video of ana grey. I would love to see it and another if you have a chance to get it. :)

I am one of the many unlucky grey owners that do as Dave suggests with soaking Dayo whether he wants a bath or not. :P

OMG! If I had a video of our Moussa getting a bath, he would not only be avoiding the water, but he would also be screaming like ET. He absolutely hates water. He will sometimes play in the water dish on his playstand in the kitchen, but he just gets water all over everything but himself.

Does that apply to just AG's or African parrots in general? My Senegal takes a bath in his water dish every morning, and gets really excited when the misting bottle comes out! My Cockatiel from Australia on the other hand hates water, and screams when he sees the misting bottle.

Edited by Eshana

African Greys in general do not like "Baths". In the wild, they of course must put up with a "Shower" since they do live in or near a rain forest area. However, african greys observed in the wild, generally will only sit under the leaves of a tree and stand like a penguin with all feathers tight and beak up vertical. Most do not open the feathers to allow the rain to soak their skin. Senegals are know to love baths and have a great time much like a south american parrot. Cape parrots in africa are much the same way and are seen getting thier bellies wet while dropping in for a drink of water near streams, but they are not as anti-water as the african grey species.

I must have missed that video of ana grey. I would love to see it and another if you have a chance to get it. :)

I am one of the many unlucky grey owners that do as Dave suggests with soaking Dayo whether he wants a bath or not. :P

th_001-18.jpg

I will try to get a video of Sterling if the weather clears up!

Edited by luvparrots

As promised Dan, here is Sterling Gris and his shower/bath. I usually try to shower them outside because.... well it gets pretty wet!!! Sterling is flighted, as all my parrots are, so if he wanted, he would take off anytime he wants. So here is Sterling!!!

th_013.jpg

I use a fine mist and really soak them well, so that is probably why they are so good about bath time.