NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Where did you get your grey???

LAURIT

I recently just got my three month old TAG. I named her Zoe. I must say I did alot of research as I'm sure many of us here have. I bought Zoe from Todd Marcus Birds Exotic in Delran NJ. It was a great experience from start to finish. They are so helpful and really know their stuff. They have the best selection on bird products and the store is very clean. I loved them so much that I drove an 1 hour and 1/2 to get their several times a week until Zoe was down to one feeding a day. They also have a online site and will ship to your house. Not to mention that there is a bird store 10 minutes from my house, but I really did not like it there as I felt they just wanted my money. I know in the end it's all a business, but if I'm going to spend a couple grand I want the whole package...haha. So any ways....where did you get your bird? How was your experience? What did you like and not like about it?

Opey was a rehome from an elderly ladie that a good friend of mine at work knew , Cody came from a breeder about an hour away from me I had planned on adopting a baby from a breeder that is an excellent breeder but I had a long wait , Cody was on CL but this was not along time breeder in fact it was her second clutch of baby greys she had one baby left that was Cody but Cody is handicapped his leg was broke in the nest as a baby and it healed back crooked , he doesn't know their is anything wrong with him and he climbs and flys and acts like a normal grey

Echo is a rehome , a lady that lived in the next building was looking for a good home for him because she was moveing and could not take Echo with her , so we adopted Echo

Peanut our baby ringneck came from a really good breeder and she was very well socialized and taken care of , she is very cuddly for a ringneck

I found our Marcus on Craig's List and he came to us with his cage. I definitely feel that I was blessed to have found him... The few behavioral issues that Marcus came to us with are all but disappeared now, and he is just the most loving and wonderful boy. My chatty, bright, sweetheart of a boy who now steps-up regularly for me--that is definitely a big accomplishment for him! :)

Edited by MarcusCAG

Mine too is a rehome, the third one for her in fact. She's a bit of a screamer though and I think that's why the last person gave her up even though I was told it was for other reasons. I don't think there is a happier grey on this planet the way she whistles and talks and just carries on. For her play time is all the time and we really rough it up. she loves biting me, most of the time not hard unless I cut her play time short and she gets a little upset. But I have to say there are just as many kisses as there are bites so it all evens out. She's bi lingual speaking whatever spanish my teaches her even though she doesn't care for my wife much. Her wings are clipped because we have ceiling fans going on through most of the house especially in the spring and summer here in Tx. and we just sit out on the patio having a good time together whenever we can. I couldn't see coming home and not seeing my little girl waiting for me to give her almond treats .:D

I got Willie from an elderly couple at an assisted living place that I used to work at. The woman said that if she ever got to the point that she couldn't take care of him anymore that she'd find him a new home. When she gave him to me, she said there were only two people that she would trust to take care of him, and that was either me or my boyfriend's mom. :) Pretty big compliment, and showed a lot of trust to let me take her baby.

He's 17 and has been with them since he was about 6 months old.

He and I are getting along real well for me to have only had him a week. His life has completely changed, but he's adapting well to it all. He certainly lets me know what he's ready for and what he won't accept just yet (like that rubber band that was going to eat him yesterday... Ha!).

Sam was abandoned in the parking lot of a local vet's office, along with other pets. My friend is a vet, and knew I loved birds, so we ended up with him. He's been with us just under three months and we can't imagine life without him. At the vet's a tech asked him "What's your name?" and he answered Sam. That's all we know about him.

I do wish I knew a bit about his background though, because he's got loads of baggage, and I wish I understood where some of it came from and how to make him feel safe.

We're working on it though.

Though I haven't gotten my bird yet I've been seriously considering purchasing from the parrot posse located in St. Louis.

http://parrotposse.com/default.aspx

Mainly because they are somewhat local to where I live and I have spoken with Georgia on several occasions about purchasing a CAG and they seem like very helpful and quite knowledgeable about the birds they work with. I've found some places more local to get a baby but I'd rather travel a little farther and buy from someone who seems more reputable.

I've thought about rehoming a bird. But the main of them I've seen in classifieds and craigslist haven't panned out. Although I have tried probably 5 times.

Sam was abandoned in the parking lot of a local vet's office, along with other pets.

You know, I've read a lot of stories about how people have aquired their grey but this is the first time I've heard that one. How in the world someone could do something like that is beyond me. It's sad that someone could have so little respect for their animals to do such a thing.

Great idea for a topic! Very interesting how we all became bird parronts. I bought my tag as a gift for my son and she was shipped from FL to me ( she is now mine). My cag was a rehome from a member on this forum who wanted her gone after having her 5 weeks because she was too noisy..... ( I am her 4th and final home). My amazon was purchased in NJ on a whim........:)ILOVE all my babies and couldn't imagine life without them!

Both of my birds are from Bird Paradise in NJ actually right up the street a little from Todd Marcus! I got my BB when he was about 3 months old, and he was my first parrot other than parakeets as a girl. I was so smitten with him I decided I wanted another bird, and a year later after much research, I put a deposit on a TAG and visited her several times a week until she could come home. They are very knowledgeable and friendly, and have EVERYTHING and great coupons. My only pet peeve is sometimes they seem overwhelmed when it gets busy there.

I have three parrots. My TAG is 3 years old and I got her from a little old lady in Aberdeen, Washington. She was one of 5 siblings. Millie was a very dedicated breeder and we stayed in contact for over a year. My BF Amazon is now 3 1/2 years old and he is a re-home. He speaks Hindu and now learning English. His original owner was a male and when he became ill the wife moved Louie outside and then sold him to me. My CAG is 5 1/2 months old and I purchased him from Colton, Oregon from a couple of very devoted grey owners.

You know, I've read a lot of stories about how people have aquired their grey but this is the first time I've heard that one. How in the world someone could do something like that is beyond me. It's sad that someone could have so little respect for their animals to do such a thing.

Agreed, but I'm grateful they left them all at a vets office. All critters now have permanent homes.

My TAG, Gilbert found me on this grey forum. When my heart was broken after losing two young CAGs, I didn't notice at first that Gilbert was looking for a rehome. When I did notice, I wondered if it was the right thing for him and for me. It was a cautious time of trying to decide, but ultimately, it was the best thing for both of us. He came to us with issues and has been in several homes. He may be between seven and ten years old. He is unpredictable, delightful, unbelieveably intelligent, a little suspicious and nervous and he is just perfect for our home. He is also a plucker. Every time he shows us a new facet of his fascinating personality, I am even more smitten with him.

• 2 weeks later...
Though I haven't gotten my bird yet I've been seriously considering purchasing from the parrot posse located in St. Louis.

http://parrotposse.com/default.aspx

Mainly because they are somewhat local to where I live and I have spoken with Georgia on several occasions about purchasing a CAG and they seem like very helpful and quite knowledgeable about the birds they work with. I've found some places more local to get a baby but I'd rather travel a little farther and buy from someone who seems more reputable.

I've thought about rehoming a bird. But the main of them I've seen in classifieds and craigslist haven't panned out. Although I have tried probably 5 times.

I just yesterday bought a CAG from Georgia and the Parrot Posse, and I HIGHLY recommend them! She is a wonderfully sweet woman that is an absolute wealth of knowledge for someone like me who will be a 1st time CAG owner. I HAD a CAG baby on hold with a store, which was supposed to be, "the most reputable bird store in the STL area." However, all I can say about that store is that they caused me considerable heartache, as I won't be taking home the baby I picked and have been bonding with. Apparently my experience at the store was an anomaly, but all I can say is thank God I found Georgia! I feel incredibly comfortable working with her and this time I know the outcome will be better. :)

I looked on Craigslist, but a former CAG owner told me that I needed to talk to "The Bird Lady" who lived in my town before doing anything...so being a hopeful bird owner, I did...Her name is Kay, and the place is called Nebraska Exotic Birds. I visited and at the time she didn't have any greys, but said that she had one that was hatched on some more on eggs, so after a long day of visiting with Kay, I put my deposit down on Perry, the one that was hatched! He is still there, and should be ready to come home in a couple of weeks! Meanwhile I found Shyloh on a craigslist add...Kay was also very helpful in this decision as well. She told me what to look for so on and so forth. I purchased Shyloh and Kay kept him until I was set up and 100% ready for him, she also ran some labs on him to make sure he was healthy! She has offered on-going help with everyting, she offered to do nails, and wings and bird sit as well! She is a wonderful lady with beautiful birds! And the best part is she is only a few miles from me!

I am getting a female CAG from a local vet who breeds greys. My baby is currently 8 weeks old, and I will meet her next week. I will be able to visit as often as I like, and since the breeder is a vet she has a wealth of information. I will post pics after our first visit.

I used to live in San Francisco. There is a very good bird store in Noe Valley. My quaker of twenty years had just died, so I was mourning him and getting some bird time, by visiting the store on the weekends. I went there every weekend for about a year, handling many parrots. When I picked up Brutus, CAG, i felt an instant connection and calm that I had not felt with the other parrots I had handled, so that was it for me. By that time we were living on the opposite coast, so I came out to SF and brought Brutus home on the plane in a travel carrier. I gave him beak rubs periodically to let him know it was okay. Bringing him home was life-changing and one of the best things we ever did.

Pancho, Panama Amazon, is a rehome. I visited him for many months at a bird store in San Diego. I brought him walnuts and talked to him. The story was he had been with a guy for 8 years who ditched him for a girlfriend who did not like birds - bad trade, I think. He sold Pancho to the bird store where he sat in a small dark cage in a windowless room under other cages, eating a primarily seed diet. He looked bad: dull ragged feathers, flaky beak and peeling feet, but he was very sweet. At our house, his transformation has been dramatic in both personality and appearance. He is gorgeous now (even if i do say so myself!) and SOOOO sweet. I really think that Pancho is a cute little girl. maybe someday we will find out with a DNA test.

I got Tui from a local pet shop but they're in close contact and buy from a local breeder. All of their birds have rings and are well looked after. I've seen birds in other shops which aren't as kindly cared for and I've started becoming suspcious as to where they come from.

But thankfully my Tui came from a good breeder and the people who work in the shop I got her from have their specialities. The man who actually got her out of the cage used to breed Greys with his dad so he's got a lot of experience with parrots.