NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cage covers

Doug

I have purchased the following cage:

King's Cages (cage dimensions: 34" W x 26" D x 41" H) (click on link to see it)

The cage is in a part of the house that sees a lot of activity after 9 p.m., so I think that I need a cage cover.

I can probably fabricate one myself, using sewn-in neodymium magnets (very strong) (nickel plating).

Any special concerns or considerations for a cover?

Would it be a good idea to leave the back and two sides on during the day to provide a greater feeling of security. (A lot of foot traffic will be going past the cage...)

I'm in the "no cover" camp. I've never used them. The birds are in a seperate room but it is right off the family room where we watch TV past their bedtime. They are in the solarium right on a wall of windows. We close the blinds at night but otherwise they are not covered. During the day there is a tree right outside the window and there are birds and squirrels that visit. They seem to like that. But at night they settle down and don't seem to be bothered by the TV or the light on in the family room, or our talking.

I got scared away from covers years and years ago when I read an article in Bird Talk about a bird that chewed their cover and a thread got wrapped around the birds toe and the bird ended up losing the toe. It freaked me out so I've never used them.

I don't cover my parrots cages. To me it would be stuffy and I believe in fresh air. Have you thought about a sleep tent. When my grey was younger she loved her sleep tent. I guess it made her feel cozy and safe. Here is an example of a sleep tent:

http://www.birdsupplies.com/Scooter-Z-Bird-Sleep-Tent-p/str%20001xx.htm

I just hung one inside the cage. Ana Grey loved it!

Edited by luvparrots

I have always covered my cages. I do exactly what Judy does. A dark sheet that I throw over the cage at night. My cages are the macaw size so the sheet only goes about half way down,they have the other half to look out. If they want which they will do in the morning, plus there is plenty of ventilation. They prefer to be covered as I have 3 teenaged, lots of their friends coming and going all night. The noise. And traffic disturb their sleep and they like their privacy, they are much happier eve tho they are in the next room with the doors closed.

I'm in the Sheet Camp, black sheets over their cages in the bird room, along with a night light, just in case someone has a bad dream. I think it offers them a security feeling , kind of like having a woobie to snuggle with when you were a kid. They actually ask to be covered now "are you ready for bed" is what I hear about 8:45 until they get covered.

That is a nice cage and it is similar to the two we have in our living room for our birds. I don't cover our big cages because their corner is dark on its own when I turn the lamps off on that side of the room and both birds are relaxed about sleeping when we are in the room. With that said, it is just my husband and myself in the house and we are quiet and don't stay up much past ten. When we travel, I do cover the bird's travel cages with fleece blankets. I also went to the fabric store and bought several colors of fleece and cut them into squares to use as lap blankets because they are great to let the birds climb on it withoug catching toenails and it catches messes so my clothes and furniture stay clean. When Elegua comes home you will see if she settles in at night on her own or if she needs the comfort and security of a cage cover. Then, a fleece blanket would be quick and easy and you could create a custom magnetic cover later and line it with the fleece if you decide she needs it. I have read that females need a different approach and our vet even recommends twelve hours of darkness a night with the general idea being they don't think it is spring time and start laying eggs. We have a five year old female parrot and she hasn't laid any eggs, but since Elegua is coming in as a baby, conditioning her to a cover now could be something you discuss with her breeder and your vet.

It seems like my brother-in-law and his wife and daughter are FINALLY moving out. In a month or two. Sigh...

But at least they've had the offer on the house accepted and if the inspections are okay, they will close. Once those two (my SIL & my niece) are out of the house, the volume level will go down SUBSTANTIALLY. (They screech more than most parrots...)

Thank goodness...

I made my own cage cover. Just go to a fabric store and bought 4 yards of black flannel and sewed strong magnets every 12 inches along the top. Its works great as you just stick it to the top of the metal on their cage and go around the perimeter. I also feel it gives the birds security and protects them from drafts when they are sleeping. My birds love their covers.

Last night was Ellie's first night with us.

My son had his birthday party & sleep-over last night as well, so it was a lot crazier than usual.

Elegua got pretty worked up around 10 or 10:30, so we to shut off most of the lights to get her to calm down. We'll see how she does during a more typical evening.

I don't use a cover. The breeder said that Greys are more prone to feather plucking with covers. This is because in the Wild they will pull some feathers when making their bed. I'm not sure if it's true, but I have not had any problems yet.

They go to sleep either way so why would a cover influence bed making as opposed to uncovered-obtuse logic ? We cover our flock at night and they do fine just dark sheets as we stay up longer than them with artificial light and it does help them settle in for a good sleep. Too many birds for a sleep cage situation. Currently have 4 Greys and 2 Too's at home as we foster for the local Sanctuary

Edited by Greywings

I put a king-sized pillow case in the corner where her sleep perch is. That way she won't be startled as much by people walking from around the corner. Hopefully the attached sketch makes some sense.

It goes down about 20" (50 cm) from the top of the cage, lower than her perch.

BirdCagePartialCover.jpg