NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Disciplining the CAG

CeeCeeNY

Hello FLockers! So I need some advice regarding Christian (we never changed his name) He's very sweet and adores me (a little too much) so I have to at time limit our interaction. But he always comes to me, and lets me put him away, shower him etc. Problem, he HATES my husband. My husband has never even tried to interact w/ Chris because he wanted him to bond to me, which he has but when my husband is home all Chris does is stalk & try to attack him. Here's the really big prob, when I notice Chris making his move and I go to "referee" and get him away from my hubby before he strikes, he bites me and does it to hurt/draw blood. Last night as I was cooking dinner for all of us (pasta w/ lentils) one minute Chris was in the kitchen w/ me then I hear hubby call "Babe come get him he's getting too close!" Sure enough Chris was in between the couch (where hubby was lying) and the coffee table, as soon as he saw me he bowed his head & clicked like he knew he was busted but when I said, "let's go get yums" and bent to pick him up (he extended his foot to me) he took my finger w/ his foot and then bit me, so hard I screamed and tossed him onto the couch then realized that I practically threw him onto hubby I panicked & tossed a blanket over him and took him to his cage. He put his beak right through my nail bed, it's ugly. My hubby freaked, wants Chris gone immediately. Now this is the 3rd time he has done this to me, same situation all 3 times, drew blood all 3 times. It's like he gets pissed that I interfere with him attacking hubby so he takes it out on me, does that make sense? Anyone have any experience with this? I have not said a word to him all day, complete silent treatment. Only tossed a handful of pellets in his cage this am, no eye contact nothing, when I came him this evening I said nothing and he's trying all his calls but I won't respond. I'm not scared of him but I don't think this is a behavior that can change. And if the only solution is to never let him out when my hubby is home, well that kinda suck for Chris because we work somewhat similar hours. There is only one day during the week that I'm home and hubby is not. What is the proper way to discipline these guys, I know w/ dogs you have the catch them the instant in happens not a moment later but all I did was throw him in his cage (yes I'm very ashamed to say I literally tossed him into his cage, blanket and all:( ) Any thoughts would really be appreciated, I feel terrible about this.

One thing I know NOT to do is use his cage as a punishment. He should not look at going into the cage as a bad thing. As for discipline...the only thing I can think of doing is positive reinforcement. My senegal Jon HATEd my boyfriend, and always ran to attack him every time he was over. He would then lash out at me when i tried to stop the attack. I make sure he knows I'm mad when he does this, and when he sits politely on Ilia, my boyfriend's, finger, I give him lots of cuddles and scritches. He now sits on my boyfriends hand with no problem, because he knows he will get rewarded after!

Also, if you ever need a cool down, since I'm in NY I can always watch him for you for a few days. My father is a dog trainer and more than once I've seen couples fall apart over how to discipline an unruly animal, and sometimes it's best to just take a bit of a break.

Edited by Eshana

Ruby went through a stage where she wanted to nip us, and every now and then will get in one of her moods where she'll try and do it again. First i try a firm "No!" not yelling or anything, just a firm no, like you would say to a child or something, to get her attention. then if she keeps on, i will indeed place her in the cage, tell her she's in time out, turn the light off and walk out of the room. then about 10 mins later i come back, get her out, act like nothing happened, and she's usually fine and behaves herself. she definitely now knows what "no" means, and will tell us "no" if we're not letting her get her way sometimes, haha. this method of discipline was recommended by our vet.

Birds brain process is telling your Christian to protect you from the perceived danger/challenger by driving you away. He Would do the same thing with his mate/best buddy in the wild. Avoiding the bite is the best thing so you have to think ahead, when he is out keep that brain occupied, consider a wing clip (altitude adjustment) like a child quickly change the subject of his focus. Time to sing & dance a spray bath something that grabs his attention for a while. If you do cage him just do a quick 1-2 minute time out with a little treat waiting in the cage for going back in not for the previous behavior that caused the trouble. Greys are so smart sometimes they are better a training us than we realize.

All good advice. You can not discipline a bird! You can distract, chNge their direction, let them no sternly this behavior is not favored by you, but giving him an outburst of attention is o ly going to reinforce his attack behavior. I have a problem with my tag going after my 17 year old son because she tried it one time and he dives for cover and she thinks it's a fun gAmee, she also tries to get my 22 year old son (her first owner) to have him put his hand out to step up, she's very sweet when she holds her foot up, then when he puts his hand out, she bites him, draws blood and laughs. Doesn't do this behavior with anyone else.

I find that a spray bottle of water next to the attack victim works best, they hate to be sprayed, and just seeing it after the first couple of uses works wonders.

I'm sure others have better advice, after all, drawing blood like that is serious. I agree she sees your husband as a threat, she is very protective of you as my cag is with me.

Each grey is different and so you will need to try different methods to get the results you want. My Ana Grey is very territorial and although she is the smallest of my flock, she is the swiftest and most agile. She rules the roost. If she dive bombs someone, I talk to her and explain the wrongness of her action. She knows when she is being scolded. I guess it is the tone of my voice. If she continues, she is sent to another room by herself. Ahh the wonders of doors!!!! Of course there is a downfall, when she is bad I say "stop that" and if I do something she dislikes, I get the words right back in my face!!!! LOL!!!! Got to love those smart and mouthy greys!!!!

ruby knows when she is being scolded too. telling her no usually does the trick. but when it doesn't i don't see anything wrong with putting her in her cage in another room for a time out. it's just like if you sent a child to their room for a time out. i don't think she views her cage as "punishment time"

The most important thing to do when a grey is about to perform an action that you want to stop, is to control your emotions. They are truly empathic and if you are upset, they know it and they will respond by protecting themselves from a possible attack. They will also become angry as well. Think it through as to how the most effective, non hostile way would be to stop the action that is about to happen. Talk in a friendly low voice, show a smile (They know when you smile as body language) and approach slowly "Requesting" what it is you are about to do, like a step-up.

Throwing a bird and then basically toweling them is very upsetting and scary to them. It immediately makes them the prey and they will start viewing you and anyone associated with it as a predator out to hurt them. Please remember, they have the emotions of a 3 to 4 year old child and the intelligence as well. How would you coax or get a 4 year old to do something your requesting? I am just throwing out some food for thought here so this does not escalate into a situation where "Chris" does not trust either of you. Jealousy as he is showing is natural and protective as others have said.

Please think of ways you could accomplish this in a non-combative way. :)

I also think it might be good for Chris to find ways to interact positively with your grey. So far he has left everything up to you. I'm not suggesting he try to handle the bird yet, but he might give treats or let him out of his cage in the morning. Proper socialization means including all family members to avoid the situation you are describing. Baby steps are important, but it's still early days and I believe this situation can me mediated and improved with time and patience.

I dont have any advice like everyone else, but I hope you get through this without hubby wanting to have a "grey stew" anyime soon. Its sad because the bird is trying to protect you, but us humans dont see it that way sometimes. I can understand hubby, because I can put myself in his shoes, all he sees is the bird trying to bite your finger off. hope this all works out for you.

If not, and hubby puts his foot down and makes you get rid of chris, you can consider Eshana as a foster parent because she loves greys and live close to you too . . .

One thing I know NOT to do is use his cage as a punishment. He should not look at going into the cage as a bad thing. As for discipline...the only thing I can think of doing is positive reinforcement.

I disagree with this, I think you are confusing a few minutes in time out with some much more extreme like putting them in their cage for hours on end for punishment. Our Macaw used to attack me all the time whenever my GF was home (she was great with me alone) just not when my gf whom she was originally bonded with was around.. In the last two years she has almost grown to like me more than her by slowly building her trust and spending as much time with her as she wanted me to.

A time out does not and probably should not ever be for HOURS but instead it can be as simple as turning your back or placing them in their cage for as little as minute or two before you bring them back out to let them know what they have done is not something you wish them to continue.

Parrots don't learn or respond to punishment. Positive reinforcement is what works. If Christian attacks your hubby when he's out of the cage, have your husband start working with him while he's in the cage. Have him give Christian treats that only your husband gives him through the cage.