NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How many toys for new baby?

JeffNOK

I have put a deposit down on a baby female grey (Gracie will be her name). She will be coming home in December, and I wanted to know how many toys should be awaiting her in her cage and playstands when she first arrives. I have read that greys need to be introduced slowly to new things, so I wasn't sure whether to start off with just her cage, her cage with one or two toys, or her cage all tricked out with various amusements already in place. I will be visiting her several times a week starting in October, and I plan to introduce her to her Pak O Bird carrier and her aviator harness and perhaps a few toys. I just don't want to overwhelm or stress her when I finally bring her home. Any suggestions?

I started out with a bunch of stuff in the cage and had to remove some things. I'll put them back as he gets tired of what is in there. The things he liked the best were the rope boing and the rope perches. The type that I bought have two plastic rings with rawhide and small toys hanging from them. He likes the perches and plays with the small toys. I also attached one of those tubular bells to the top of the boing and he likes to play with that. The rope perches are especially nice because I was able to arrange them so that he can move easily around the cage. He's not good at climbing on the cage bars yet.

Edited by Barbara2

You are right to not overdo the toys in the cage because our greys need room to spread their wings if they want. My parrots are not afraid of new things as I have never assumed they would be. As Barbara suggested switch the toys around after a while so that she is not bored. You are going to be a great parront Jeff, I am, so excited for you and Gracie! Love her name!!!!