NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The process of adding another?

Griffin's People

Hello all. :). I've recently been thinking about adopting another bird. Currently we have a 3 year old TAG who was a rehome, we've had Griffin for a 1 1/2 years and he seems to be doing quite well here. You can see my intro post complete with pictures and video here: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?193763-New-Member-%29

Griffin is very much my bird. He tolerates my husband if he has to and lets my girls feed him but that is as far as it goes. I was considering getting a bird a little more inclined to let my girls interact with them, supervised of course. What breed of bird would you all recommend? Griffin and the new bird would each have their own cage, and not be out of the cage at the same time at first, they would have separate boing, play gym, sunroom and aviary time. Which leads me to my next question. Is there a good post or advice already posted on how to acclimate birds to each other? The last thing I want is an injured, bullied or stressed bird. I really want a peaceful, calm ( well as calm as it gets in around here with a busy family and pets) transition. Maybe a second bird isn't an option but the girls desperately want to interact with Griffin more then he allows. ;)

All the things you want to supply to a new bird are great. The rules you wanna adhere to are great. The only problem here is the reason for getting another bird, especially a rehome. A person can't get any parrot that guarantees friendliness certain people in a house. Basically, a family has to try to socialize a brd into a home. A bird may like certain people but not all people equally. That's common for all parrots.

Conures are a generally good all around family parrot but it doesn't mean that it's guaranteed. Someone here named has a grey and conure and cockatiel. The grey and the conure don't get along but all the birds get along with her.

Again, older parrots that have lived in other places have set personalities gotten from the previous home that can't be changed no matter where they live.

The choice is yours depending upon what appeals to you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/NandayConureTBCn_AcB188.jpg

Edited by Dave007

Dave has given you some great advice and information. Unfortunately parrots are sometimes very fearful of young children as youngsters are so very active. Have you thought about parrotlets for your girls. They are called "pocket parrots" because of their size and playful personalities. That might be your answer to teach your your daughters about parrots and get them accustomed to parrots. http://www.avianweb.com/parrotletsinfo.htm

Thank you guys. I have considered parrotlets and maybe budgies? I know that a bird being friendly especially toward any single individual can never be gaurenteed but I know certain breeds you at least have a better chance with. I figure worst case senerio I end up with another bird friend for me :) I def. Wouldn't be upset by it. :)

I want to put another vote in for the Cockatiel. My 'tiel, Shelby, not only talks and cuddles, but he will fly to any person he sees, even if he never met them before. I don't know if that's just my 'tiel or 'tiels in general, but he's the only bird I'd let strangers hold.

I am going to chime in with another vote for cockatiels for the one I have is friendly toward other people who come into our home, she doesn't bite and will go to them in short time whereas my conure will take to some people and not others but she usually doesn't like young children for they are too loud and move quickly. I never used to be a fan of tiels until one landed in my backyard last summer and couldn't find her owners so I kept her, she is very nosy and loves to check out things around the house, she is an excellent flyer and is very quiet, a lot of personality in a small bird.

Thank you guys for bringing up cockatiel's. I really was considering them but didn't know. I'm going to do some research know. :) It's sorta funny though. I just got an email from a dog rescue friend who knew I had a bird and asked if I could take a cockatiel that had flown into somebodies back yard and no one claimed him. I guess he's a real sweet heart, no band, was pretty thirsty and hungry but seems healthy. Hmm.. I probably shouldn't get in the business of bird rescue..lol Tons of people will be calling me. lol