NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Popular amazon parrots

Dave007

Common Amazon Parrots

amazon-bluefronted-lynell1.gifBlue Fronted Amazon: Said to be a little more easygoing. Excellent talking and mimic ability. I read some great stories about their ability to sing songs.

amazon-cuban-150.jpgCuban Amazon: One of the smallest Amazons and considered a bit rare because they are so hard to find in the U.S. Reported to be relatively a quiet bird.

amazon-double-yellow-headed.gifDouble Yellow Headed Amazon: Considered one of the best talkers. They are comical, head strong and usually outgoing.

amazon-lilac-crowned.gifLilac Crowned Amazon: A favorite among many because of it’s sweet disposition and it’s beautiful colors. Known to have an even-tempered disposition and a little shy. Not known for their talking ability, but many become good talkers and singers.

amazon-mexican-red-head-2.jpgMexican Red Headed Amazon: Owners say these parrots are gentle, cuddly, affectionate and not as moody as other Amazons. Some owners say they are not the best of talkers and they are said to not go through as long a hormonal stage as the other Amazon Parrots.

amazon-orange-winged-gigi2.gifOrange Winged Amazon: These parrots are often confused with the Blue Fronted. They are similar in personality and looks but there are differences. The Orange Winged is said to be a little more even tempered and an inch or two smaller. It’s upper mandible is lighter colored, often with dark streaks. It’s orange feathers are the best give-away, the Blue Front has red feathers instead.

amazon-redlored-sm.jpgRed Lored Amazon: Owners say these parrots are gentle, cuddly, affectionate and very loyal. Some owners say they are good talkers, but there are never any guarantees.

amazon-white-fronted-sm.jpgSpectacled Amazon: Also known as White-fronted Amazon. This is the smallest of the Amazon Parrots. It is said to make a good pet bird for both adults and children. Owners say it’s a fairly good talker and quieter than the larger Amazons. The female lacks the red edge on the wing.

amazon-yellow-naped.gifYellow Naped Amazon: Known to be very intelligent, affectionate and gentle but still headstrong. Can be very good talkers, and will form strong bonds with their owner.

Noise Level

All Amazon Parrots are loud at some time. Most are loud at sunrise and sunset, and when you aren’t giving them the attention or item they want. If you provide lots of toys for them to destruct and play with, and change them out often it will help. Also, you must spend quality time with your Amazon Parrot. Proper nutrition is also essential.

3 years ago just before we rehomed Cricket our Blue front the only thing I new about amazons was that they were green and they were aggressive.

Well I know better now, they are beautiful, all of them and I did not know that there were so many differant zons. That was 3 years ago.

This is a yellow crowned amazon--naped amazons have the yellow on the back of the head/neck.

I should have included it in the list.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/YellowCrownedAmazonWBA_AcB210.jpg

Thanks Dave, I was always a bit confused..NIlah is a Yellow Crowned Amazon and I never knew what category she fell into. So they have their own? So I'm guessing I have it wrong on my pet page signature picture?